Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a very unique suspension design. i would like to find a link setup that i can use with airbags. i have looked at a bunch of ideas, and i simply dont think they will work with airbags, and i want to fit 44 inch tires, so just replacing coil springs with airbags in some setups wont work due to their length. if anyone can help me out, that would be appreciated, either with a drawing, or with a link to a site, thanks a ton

wes

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another thing i have been thinking about using are nitrogen charged shocks instead of airbags or coilovers, or anything like that, anyone got any input on these?

wes

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
2 problems I see are 1) bag length they just don't make bags that are that long 2) bag life, I would be suspect of how they would hold up to wheeling.

I have had done a couple air bag suspension setup's on low riders and seen a few others, guys mount them closer to the pivot point of the links to get more travel from them but in turn it take more to make it move and adds stress to the link and it will not react nearly the same as mounting them on top of the axel.

I think that it could be done and work well as a sort of forced articulation type thing but I also think it is more trouble than it is worth to me.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Yea air bags suck

There light weight
Adjustable spring rate
In cab adjustable ride height
You have about the same likelihood of getting a hole in your spare as your air bags

Seriously talk to Firestone and or AIM industries.
Firestone has an engineering catalog they will send you free that is a great help.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well, ok, thanks for the input on the airbag stuff, im lookin at all my options, just tryin to get most of my rig planned out so i can get the cashflow comin in! so now i just need more info and input on the nitrogen shocks, can anyone help me out?

wes

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Air Ride said:
Yea air bags suck
I am curious on your setup? Assuming that you have bags. A guy here in WA tried it out, about 3 or so years ago and ditched them due to failures of the bags (they had a funky mounting design to the bag, but for the specifications needed that was all that he could find). Another point of reliability is I have seen people bread everything imaginable on this site. I do think that they could work but personally I don't see the need. As for the adjustability of spring rate it also affects the ride height so are you using them with a soft spring or solo? I am curious and not busting your balls.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
From what I've seen, Air Ride is using 1/4 eliptics, with 4 link front and rear with air bags mounting on top of the leafs. Right? :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Ok ther is a picture showing the bag, looks nice and seems to function well.

·
Registered
778 Posts
No specs on the vehicle, personal experience with airbags, or any other useful information. I just remembered seeing this rig on the SRC website. It's bagged with a 7 link and 44" TSLs. There's more info on it there.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
EBSTEVE said:

A guy here in WA tried it out, about 3 or so years ago and ditched them due to failures of the bags (they had a funky mounting design to the bag, but for the specifications needed that was all that he could find). Another point of reliability is I have seen people bread everything imaginable on this site. I do think that they could work but personally I don't see the need. As for the adjustability of spring rate it also affects the ride height so are you using them with a soft spring or solo? I am curious and not busting your balls.
Mike (AirBag) has had his air bag setup for over 3 years and hasn't had any problems with failures. I think he had one fail but that was cause of another problem. Seems to be very reliable if you do it right.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, thanks for all the responses. airbags seem like something i would have fun with all the engineering aspects, and the complication of it all, i would like that! i think i am goin to start some work in solidworks and autocad, and try to get a basic design drawn up, more ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

wes

·
Registered
87 Posts
There was someone who had posted a buildup a year or so ago. Not sure if it is still around. He had a full 4-link suspension with the lower arms being parallel to the frame. The bag was near where the lower arms connected to the frame. The thing looked like it flexed really well. Most big truck use air bags now days. They seem to last pretty well on them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
XTRMTOY said:
I run airbags at each corner of my 4runner.
Who wants to post the pics?
I'll add the details after.

Mat
I'll post them Mat.

Tass

1 - 20 of 34 Posts