Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying the 4inch Pro Comp Stage II w/ springs for my truck. I have talked to a few other toyota owners and I have a question about my tortion bars. I was thinking about buying the 25mm tortion bars and turning them up 1.5inches.

I just wanted to make sure that they would work w/ the lift kit and give me the extra amount of lift I need. I'm trying to stick w/ all suspension so I can take off my body lift. I'm going to be running 35x12.50s, but I think that the amount of fender gap w/ the 4 suspension + 3 body.

I'm new to the board so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked a lot of times in the past.

Thanks in advanced.
Chris

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
No need to send him away. Just send him to the newbie section here so we can convert him to the dark side:vader2:

Basically, you can do that, but if you actually wheel it, it's gonna fall apart after a little while and not work too well. Instead, wheel it like it is and learn how to drive and pick lines while saving for a real setup, like a Toy solid front, or D44. That's pretty much the norm.

Search lots and see what you like.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Lifted92Toy said:
I'm buying the 4inch Pro Comp Stage II w/ springs for my truck. I have talked to a few other toyota owners and I have a question about my tortion bars. I was thinking about buying the 25mm tortion bars and turning them up 1.5inches.

I just wanted to make sure that they would work w/ the lift kit and give me the extra amount of lift I need. I'm trying to stick w/ all suspension so I can take off my body lift. I'm going to be running 35x12.50s, but I think that the amount of fender gap w/ the 4 suspension + 3 body.

I'm new to the board so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked a lot of times in the past.

Thanks in advanced.
Chris
Chris, I had a lifted IFS truck back in the dark ages, I tried to do the same thing to erk out that extra little bit of lift. DON'T DO IT! I bought a set of beefy Rancho Torsion bars which are now in my garden holding up bean stalks. The truck is long gone and I can't hold a straight face trying to sell those Rancho bars.

I don't want to get into it in great detail, not the right forum, but generally, by cranking up the torsion bars, you're not really loading them up more excessively. If you look at the way the torsion bar is engineered, you're just changing the "rest" or "settled" position of the bar relative to the frame. So thicker torsion bars are not really needed unless you're planning to make a 1/2 ton truck into a 3/4 ton. Using beefier torsion bars is like installing 1 ton leaf springs in a 1/2 ton truck, you're going to kill the limited suspension travel you have and make your truck ride like a rock. Plus cranking the torsion bars to give more lift means less droop. Theres no net gain.

·
Registered
564 Posts
heck, you already have the 3" body lift on, pound the fender seam, and do a drivetrain lift and be done with it, imho an ifs suspension lift is worthless, save the money and do it right the first time

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do not waste your money on IFS. It is weak, complicated and has minimal articulation even with a lift kit. When I first got into 4 wheeling I had an IFS 4runner. I was young and soon found out how useless it was to try and work with IFS. Finally I trashed that truck and got my 85. IMHO either do a solid axle swap on your truck or sell the one you got and get an 85 that has a solid axle. You will be much happier in the end and won't feel embarassed when fellow enthusiasts rag on your IFS rig.
Merely trying to save you some stress and money.

Nick

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I agree dont waste your money on IFS crap, you may like it at first but when it falls apart and breakes your gonna ask yourself why did I waste my money on that? Just do a SAS to begin with or leave it stock for a little while to save up the extra cash needed for the SAS. Just my .02 but that is what i would do, there is also pletty of information on how to do, and what you need to do a SAS.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You can clear 35's with the 3" body lift you have now. You will need to flatten the fender seem and trim alittle out of the inner fender. I ran that set up for a year and recently took the body lift off, I had to cut to the 2nd lower fender bolt to get them to clear, but I haven't had any problems yet.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If it is going to be a wheelin truck... cut the IFS out, and put in a straight axle

If it is going to be a poser/daily driver... cut out the IFS, and put in a straight axle

IMO, the only time IFS is ok to keep is when it is a non-wheeled Daily Driver with small tires

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all those that cleared up the whole thing about the tortion bars. I was wondering about all of that in reference to it riding like @$$.

I don't wheel my truck I'm sorry to say. The couple of times that I have done so I have messed it up or almost rolled off a cliff side. Not fun things that I like to do w/ something I put time and money into all the time.

I guess most of it has to do w/ the people that I was w/ but that is beside the point.

I don't have the money to do the SAS. I can purchase the IFS lift for $500-550 from my friend.

Thanks for all the info and maybe one day I'll have the money and time do the SAS (unless you guys know the least expensive way to do this and easiest)

Thanks again...Chris

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If you can fab. some stuff your self, you could probally do the SAS for around the same price if not cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts