Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you wonderful geometry majors here is a question for you,,,,

I am needing to run lower link bars on the front of my Leaf sprung truck. The truck has the shackles in the rear of the spring and I am running large lift blocks on the front axle(please dont reply about that) and thus need some way of keeping the axle wrap down on the front springs. here is a picture of a truck with similar blocks(please dont reply about blocks on front end) it has "nothing" ....... I want to run a similar bar on the front like I am going to run on the rear but I am concerned because when the springs flex the shackle movement will fight the bars. I don't want any replys saying don't put blocks on it or crap like that, just asking for design help that will work.... if you dont have any good ideas please dont reply.... thanks for the help guys...

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
I dont usually contribute to bootie Fab (sorry I had to stick it to you at least a little) but if you attatch the frame side of the control arm to a shackle and then attatch the shackle to the frame, it will be able to move back and forth with the axle and still control axle wrap just like the traction bar from sams offroad does. I would think this would work as a temporary solution ( I stress the word temporary and for non street driving which I feel I have to throw in) until you can build a proper coilover link designed suspension.:eek:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Yep, 111 pretty much summed it up, run a shackle mounted wrap bar. I have seen many articles on them in the past so it shouldn't be too hard to dig up (of course I have never seen one run in the front....)

·
Registered
810 Posts
We are4 actually about to throw one on KAcrawler's CJ7. Its got an avalanche full width kit shackle reversal and is running wrangler rear leaves in the front. Just too much wrap with those soft springs. Ofcourse there aren't any lift blocks up there but same idea.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Booty fab? your killing me... look at this Durango,,, this thing is street driven with no torque bars whatsoever.. I actually do like your idea I can use the shackle to allow the movement and still have a controlled link.... I think this will take some testing and tuning to find the best solution.. anyway speaking of booty fab.... what is this??? I do like the welding and components but I have to honestly say I have never, never even seen anything close to this..... but hey if it works it works... I just don't understand loading the center of that bar.... but thanks for your tip.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Jeeper111 that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and it wouldn't work at all... The only way it could help at all, is if the shackle was mounted perpindicular to the ground, and towards the axle, but then it would still limit articulation.

edit: for a ladder bar it would work, but not for a single link...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I can load whatever I want because it is 500 wall DOM and there is no way that axle wrap would even come close to bending that bar. I dont need bootie fab lessons from someone with front lift blocks but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 4 runner......Lee I would love to see a pic of what you guys are doing,,, As it will be a while before I get to that part of my project anyway...... Elf crusier (wes) aren't you buddies with Lee? anyway this truck wont need much articulation just decent manners concerning steering and braking... I was also going to run a panhard bar for later axle stability.... thanks for the help...
Elf what do you suggest???

Rick

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha come on Lee I am just pokin fun back at ya..... Your rig is sweet and everyone can do whatever they want.... I have seen the most booty fabed rockwell equipped FJ40 outdo the most expensive shop built custom rig so to each his own.... I certainly was not giving you a "lesson" but take it how you will... I am no rocket engineer and thus the reason I am asking for "HELP" but I dont think you have to do everything by the book or the way "everyone" does it.. I am just asking for help and suggestions on a way to make this work... Sans the axle wrap what other "problems" are there really with front blocks? And the block will be welded to the axle housing so it wont move. what really will the problems be running link/tourque bars and a lateral bar??? I am not looking for 18inches or travel either....

Remember this is all for fun........don't take it wrong....

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you were to make a ladder bar that ran from the front mounting area to the axle using two mounts on the axle you could eliminate axle wrap. :eek:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Im not taking it wrong man, Im just giving what I get. You seem like a nice guy man, Im just worried your front blocks will spit out at speed and cause a horendous rollover. Plus its illegal to put them up there.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you mean from the front spring mount to the axle housing? Like a triangulated ladder? I thought of that but I did not think the length would do much.. I am running drop brackets off the front frame for the spring mounts and welding a link between the 2 brackets, I could run a bar from that to the axle......hmmmmmm

Thanks for replying.... I guess I PO'd everyone else????

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
yes rick - do that, not ladder style, but a single link to the inspection cover over the pinion...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha come on Lee I am just pokin fun back at ya..... Your rig is sweet and everyone can do whatever they want.... I have seen the most booty fabed rockwell equipped FJ40 outdo the most expensive shop built custom rig so to each his own.... I certainly was not giving you a "lesson" but take it how you will... I am no rocket engineer and thus the reason I am asking for "HELP" but I dont think you have to do everything by the book or the way "everyone" does it.. I am just asking for help and suggestions on a way to make this work... Sans the axle wrap what other "problems" are there really with front blocks? And the block will be welded to the axle housing so it wont move. what really will the problems be running link/tourque bars and a lateral bar??? I am not looking for 18inches or travel either....

Remember this is all for fun........don't take it wrong....

I am welding the "block" fully to the housing its actually coing to be square tubing that will be cut like a U and slip down the sides of the housing and be fully welded, so its not a true "block" in that sense.... leagally speaking its "part" of the housing.. Safety wise I think all will be ok as long as I can get a good solid link..... what do you think of the link from the from spring mount area back to the housing??? thanks for the kind words, I am not one to be a A-hole life is too F-ing short........

If it ain't FULLSIZE get outta my way?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Elf, do you think that bar will be long enough to really do much? what do you thing about running a wishbone style link going from both spring mounts to the center diff?? what kind of Joints do you reccommend?
Thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn guys what the heck are we doing up so late on this dang website? quite addictive I'd say..... anyway thanks for the chitchat and i think i will look into doing a wishbone style link from the front to the top of the 3rd member.... thanks and Lee if you have any pics from what you are doing on that CJ7 send em to me or something.... thanks again... goodnight....

Rick

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
I live near dallas, what streets do you generally drive on?

I need to know so I can avoid them.

Front lift blocks are dangerous... unless you are keeping the truck on a trailer, you're gonna have to live with hearing about it. And rest assured if I ever see it in person, you'll hear about it then too. I see plenty of front lift blocks on the trail, and while I don't like it, it is not particularly unsafe, just booty.

As for a traction bar on the front end. You are stuck. The design that 111 suggested is the best you are gonna get, but you will never get away completely from having some "bind" in a traction bar on a leaf spring.

As for your picking at 111's suspension, you are showing some ignorance. The static misaligment on the heims, goofily sized gussets, and welds all come MUCH closer to meeting the criteria of "BOOTY" than the fact that he is running a basically standard 3 link suspension.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
treat it just like a rear end, how many guys do you see running traction bars on the backside of a rear axle? I've never seen it and don't expect to anytime soon. Run the link forward and it won't find the shackle.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts