Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if a sammi has the 1.6 8v in it with 5.12 gears and 33's will it have enough power to maintain highway cruising speeds? will it decelerate(sp?) when you hit a substantial hill? how fast can you guys go, and what set ups do you have. i dont want to break any speed records, but i do want to be able to maintain highway cruising speeds.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You should not have problems on the flat stuff, you will slow down on hills. does it have better T-case gears to get more reduction? you will need that. The R/P wont be enough with that tire....5:13's with a 31" tire would work. on stock axles, be light on the gas off road or you'll be fixxing the axles.

Search the board, this has been covered many times. :D

Click Here for an example.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the 1.3 with 33's and 4.57 r&p and can go 65, but just barely. Hills and overpasses usually require shifting. My brother-in-law, however, has a 1.6 16v, stock 3.73's and 31's and can cruise at 75 no problem. I think this was covered in another thread, "to all you guys running 38's" by ECF among others so do a search.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you still have the stock transfercase you will be turning 3800 rpm at 65 in 5th gear, verses 3467 rpm in 5th with a 100% stock samurai. A head wind or uphill drive and you will want to use 4th is my guess.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info and links. i do not have a sammy yet... ive got a yj that i want to get rid of for a zook. my yj has the 2.5 and i run 33's with stock gears and maintaining highway speeds is hopeless. i dont want to be in the same boat with a zook. again thanks for the info.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i had a zuk with a 1.6 8 - valve, 5.12's and 33's...it would do 60 all day long on hills it would drop to 50 or so... but very little down shifting .
zukikid

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
My Dad has an built 8v 1.6 with dual mikuni's 6to1's with 33 12.50 mtr's and can run 95 all day long up hills 75 all day long:D

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have a lil stock Zuk I picked up to drive to work with 1.3 and webber carb . I have 235 75r15s on it and found that it will run 65 easy and I dont know if It will go any faster because I dont have 5th gear. I donmt want to wrap it up to tight.
I have a feeling that I wouldnt be using it much anyways though

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
suzuki highway power? For me that's an oxy-moron

I have an 8-valve 1.6 with GRSIII, 5.29's, and 35's. I can't do more than 55 mph 'cause the carb is crap. Hills (or even small overpasses) kill me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts