Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started a rebuild on my Suzuki based race truck so thought I would post up on here.
i bought the truck about 7 years ago as a truck cab pickup (SJ413K) it was more of less standard just having the bedsides replaced



The first build was just the basics, including the narrow axles! Needless to say the 1st race was eventfull with 2 rolls, one at speed which nearly tipped me over a small cliff. For the second event I back spaced the wheels & lowered everything I could, despite the clutch playing up I came 1st in class.



During the winter I carried out a rebuild including fitting sammy axles & boosting the power of the 1300



I raced the truck like this for a couple of seasons wining my class in the championship easch season



In the process I found all the usual week links mainly the axle housings & clutch



I was then offered a 16v engine for free, it was an early carbed version with no carb, I converted this to an SU & fitted a 413 dizzy. The extra power soon highlighted the defficiencies of the suspension so another rebuild took place using Fox shocks, Landrover series parabolic springs & FOA bumpstops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fitting the springs entailed extending the wheelbase so it has ended up at 101"



This was what it looked like at the end of the season.



The suspension mods work really well, biggest issue I have now is the lack of power. The truck has 11" travel front and rear and is really supple, the bumps ensuring that the bigger hits are just soaked up.

Plan for this rebuild is to fit a 2l GM engine (forerunner of the Ecotec you guys have) It is rated at 150hp standard. Gearbox is a Gertrag R25, it is very short so will fit in with the T/Case in its normal position.
The body has seen better days so I am fitting a full fiberglass body from a 1980's kit car. The rickman Ranger that has donated the body was designed to look like a Sammy. I am making the body into a pickup & will make another new set of my fiberglass wings (fenders) with the flares for the front. These will need extending to suit the new wheelbase.








Engine and box



I have stripped the racer back to the chassis ready to start building it up again, progress has been delayed by snow & freezing weather.





Now all I have to do is to put it all together again!!
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top