Pirate 4x4 banner

What should I do with it?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I just dragged home an 85 SJ410k Pickup last weekend, drove all the way from Cali to Colorado to get it too. I know, I'm nuts - but I love zuks. I've seen pics of this truck on the board here before and I had to have it, here's the link with photos of it (it's the blue one) http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196178&page=2&pp=25&highlight=pickup

This thing is really rare and my original plans were to restore it and do a SPOA and put the usual gears, lockers, etc on it.

I could just build it nice and make a cruiser out of it like I did with my LWB, or I could build it more hard core and wheel it. It would be a shame to beat this up though because it's so rare. I just can't decide how to build it.
Sooooo, what should I do with it? I trust my fellow zuki friends will help me decide.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Restore it...You'll be glad yo did, then just do the clasic mods you would have done 4 years ago so you can have a bit of fun with it.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those, but I am a bit big I think for that cab.

As far as drving to Colorado for it, heck, I got my '87 from Flagstaff, several years back, and towed it back home to the Detroit area, just so I'd have something to good to start with. :rolleyes:
(thats a 4000+ mile round trip :eek: )

In fact I just got back last month from Pheonix picking up a certain yellow/black Zuki Buggy......An you think your crazy :shaking:

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Restore it with the usual goodies, but don't do anything non-reversable to it, in case you decide to make a nice stocker out of it one day. Regular sami's are too easy to come by to beat the shit out a rare one like that. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
EHeye said:
isnt an 85 a sj413 with the 3.90 gears??
From what I can tell this thing is like a factory hybrid SJ410/413. I've owned quite a few of both models so I can tell that it has the 413 hood, grill and 1300 motor setup - and yet it has the 410 frame configuration with the narrow axles. Weird. This also has the 410 style low range Tcase stock (4:16 baby lobster I think), the axles were swapped out by the PO for some sammy axles. I know that my 87 LWB had 3:90's in it but I'm not sure what these came with stock.

And to Orionn's point, yes this cab is pretty small. So whatever I do with it I won't be riding in it for any great length of time - my knees come close to hitting the dash and the seat is kind of upright to be comfortable.

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
i'm just jelous a lwb a p/u and a lj not fair i want more toys lol

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
supazuk94 said:
i'm just jelous a lwb a p/u and a lj not fair i want more toys lol
Hey, thanks for reminding me - I just picked up an 86 Hardtop last night so I have to add that to my sig. Sometimes the family doesn't eat to support my hobby but I think it's worth it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just tube out and SAS your Sidekick! And wheel that. Restore the SJ!

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
TruckTrader said:
This also has the 410 style low range Tcase stock (4:16 baby lobster I think),

And to Orionn's point, yes this cab is pretty small. So whatever I do with it I won't be riding in it for any great length of time - my knees come close to hitting the dash and the seat is kind of upright to be comfortable.

You probably already know this, but just in case someone reading would like to know:

The 1984 "baby" Lobster is called this because it is lower geared stock than an sj413, but not as low as a "rock" lobster which is the 4:16

Sorry, I can't remember the % figures right off.

Stock sj413

input gear:44 teeth
countershaft gears:41/23 teeth
high output gear:62 teeth
low output gear:56 teeth

1984 sj410 (aka baby lobster)

input gear:31 teeth
countershaft gears:53/32 teeth
high output gear:49 teeth
low output gear:47 teeth

4:16 (aka rock lobster)

input gear:31 teeth (from 1984)
countershaft in:53 teeth (from 1984) [welded to] out:23 teeth (from sj413)
high output gear:49 teeth (from 1984)
low output gear:56 (from sj413)

I vote the nice resto for pick up, they are sweet! :D

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Doesn't make me feel so bad knowing I drove to Ft. Worth to pick up my SJ410 (1500 miles RT). Of course, it was pretty much disassembled when I got it, and I am still dicking around with starting to put it back together. (I buy a part here or there as I find what is missing. Sooner or later I might actually get the drive train back in the thing!)

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spaceman said:
Doesn't make me feel so bad knowing I drove to Ft. Worth to pick up my SJ410 (1500 miles RT). Of course, it was pretty much disassembled when I got it, and I am still dicking around with starting to put it back together. (I buy a part here or there as I find what is missing. Sooner or later I might actually get the drive train back in the thing!)
It's good to know there are other zuk freaks out there willing to cross the country for a cheaply made vehicle. If you need parts for the SJ410 let me know, I know where there's a couple of them laying around.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Restore it with a few mods if ya want to wheel it sometimes, stock if you just want a cool truck. The sammy could be the beater. I had the same thoughts about my LJ 81 pickup but decided I wanted to be able to drive it on the highway plus wheel it so it's getting sammy running gear (fi 1.3), rock lobster case, spoa, lockers, exo, 32's etc.. besides, who else has one? The body though will be quite original, minus tube front fenders. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Glad to see you made it home safely. Me on the other hand had broke the serpentine belt on the way back at 2:00am, lost a bit of fluid so I replaced the belt with a used one and thought I was good to go. Not the case, 3 hours later the engine was knocking so bad it shut itself down 800 miles from home, turned out to be an air lock. Barerly made it home but I did. It was a great experience. Ill never do it again with a 4.3 blazer though. 70 hours in 4days. :zzz:

The point is bring the spares you dont think you need and the ones you think you need arent needed. :shaking:

Many thanks Trucktrader

LiL B

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It is an 85 model year, extra rare. 1985 with the 1.3L and the axles are Sammy axles just a bit narrow, not 410 axles. It has 3.90's in them but no baby lobster t-case.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lil beast said:
Glad to see you made it home safely. Me on the other hand had broke the serpentine belt on the way back at 2:00am, lost a bit of fluid so I replaced the belt with a used one and thought I was good to go. Not the case, 3 hours later the engine was knocking so bad it shut itself down 800 miles from home, turned out to be an air lock. Barerly made it home but I did. It was a great experience. Ill never do it again with a 4.3 blazer though. 70 hours in 4days. :zzz:

The point is bring the spares you dont think you need and the ones you think you need arent needed. :shaking:

Many thanks Trucktrader

LiL B
Hey Paul, I was wondering if you made it back home okay with the LJ20. Sounds like it was interesting on the way home. We on the other hand were burning diesel at 75 mph on the way home - and we got almost 20 mpg doing it! Something to be said for a cummins turbo diesel as a tow vehicle. Anyway, it was great meeting you and your father in law. Thanks for dragging my new toy down from Canada.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like I'll be restoring it with the basic bolt on mods, that was my preference in the beginning. I expect this will be a long term project. I will post some pics of my progress for those interested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just come to Canada there are a few of those around here if you look. :) The main differences the SJ413K pickup has over any of the other samurais or SJ410's are:

Samurai front clip with 410 flares(small), frame is like a LWB samurai with inset spring hangers and a few differences, 1.3 motor(similar to samurai), samurai 5speed tranny, samurai tcase with ebrake on driveshaft(like 410), axles are one of a kind; sj410 width (49") with samurai 3rds 3.91 gears.

I know about this because I own one myself and I have researched on much about these. As for myself I am currently fixing up the body and frame and putting it on dana 44 front and rear with 33's and making a pretty sweet trail rig for up here. But I guess since you live in the states finding parts would be not as easy. And I guess a restored little stocker would be kinda cool :cool2:

BTW: The truck is a SJ413K and not a 410 sammi :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts