Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done alot of searching on this subject, and I saw on the offroad solutions website that it is best to get a manual transmission 3.4 if you want to bolt it up to your 5 speed.

The question that I have is that it says that on some of the motors a flywheel will not bolt up....does this mean that it is possible to bolt a flywheel up to SOME, if not most auto motors then? If it is possible, then is there a way to tell which ones will work before buying?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
odonekanobe said:
Ive done alot of searching on this subject, and I saw on the offroad solutions website that it is best to get a manual transmission 3.4 if you want to bolt it up to your 5 speed.

The question that I have is that it says that on some of the motors a flywheel will not bolt up....does this mean that it is possible to bolt a flywheel up to SOME, if not most auto motors then? If it is possible, then is there a way to tell which ones will work before buying?

Thanks for the help.
i thought the crank had to be machined for a pilot bearing??

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If thats the case, that severely limits the number of engines available. It seems like 99% of the 4runners were auto's, so that basically leaves the tacomas and maybe the T100's.

How common is the 5-speed in the T100?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
the only way you will find a 3.4 with a manual trans is either a tacoma or T100. the 4runners did not come equipped with the 3.4/manual combo. I would definetely recommend getting a manual since an auto WILL soak up about 25% of available horsepower. As far as flywheels bolting up, just get a manual trans 3.4 and be done with it. The flywheel will have provisions to bolt up the clutch

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is the consensus that the motors are different and an auto wont take a flywheel, or is mtncrawler right and there are motors that can do both?

Im going to buy a wrecked vehicle, and I know that a tacoma 5-speed would be the best, but I wouldn't mind getting a 4runner and then score an 8" e-locker as well. From myunderstanding, the tacoma is 8.25, and so their e-lockers won't work with my 8", correct?

Also, my friend has 97 runner with the 3.4/manual combo....with leather and a roof also!! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Very rare.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
odonekanobe said:
So is the consensus that the motors are different and an auto wont take a flywheel, or is mtncrawler right and there are motors that can do both?

Im going to buy a wrecked vehicle, and I know that a tacoma 5-speed would be the best, but I wouldn't mind getting a 4runner and then score an 8" e-locker as well. From myunderstanding, the tacoma is 8.25, and so their e-lockers won't work with my 8", correct?

Also, my friend has 97 runner with the 3.4/manual combo....with leather and a roof also!! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Very rare.

Thanks.
the tacomas with the e-locker have the 8" diff. there is not an e-locker available with the 8.25

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, that is great news! Now I guess Im looking for a Tacoma anyways...should be much easier to find a manual tranny one.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts