Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a T18 with the 6.32 low. It has everything from the bellhousing to the Dana 20. It is from a 1974 J-20. Currently I have a 304 with a T-150 and Dana 20. What will I need to bolt this up? Is it a straignt bolt in? I assume I could unbolt my current trans from the bellhousing, remove the T150 bellhousing, trans and transfer and simply bolt up the whole unit from the J-20. THis seems to easy to work........

Thanks.....

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
aallison28 said:
I'm looking at a T18 with the 6.32 low. It has everything from the bellhousing to the Dana 20. It is from a 1974 J-20. Currently I have a 304 with a T-150 and Dana 20. What will I need to bolt this up? Is it a straignt bolt in? I assume I could unbolt my current trans from the bellhousing, remove the T150 bellhousing, trans and transfer and simply bolt up the whole unit from the J-20. THis seems to easy to work........

Thanks.....
If I recall correctly, that J20 T-18 has one helluva long input shaft.

You would need the T-18 bell housing, but would put the shifter in a weird place and require new driveshafts.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You need

You need to swap in a short input shaft. Partsmike sells a kit that has everything in it, or you can use some Ford T18 parts.

You'll also need a T150/T18 bellhousing. I think the ford bellhousing may work.

Driveshafts will probably be different.

It actually isn't that hard to do.
________
LilyH

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
atblis said:
I think the ford bellhousing may work.
Negative. The only bell that bolts to an AMC engine is an AMC bellhousing.

The Jeep T18 will bolt to the existing T150 bellhousing provided a shorter input shaft is swapped into it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
aallison28 said:
I'm looking at a T18 with the 6.32 low from the J-20.

Thanks.....
You didn't say which engine the donor truck has..... V8 = long front input, I6 means swapable.

http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/t18.html

The T-18s used in full size Jeeps(FSJs) such as the Cherokee,
Wagoneer, and J-series pickups use a transmission to bell housing
adapter. Three basic variations exist with different adapters.

Early 70s T-18s use a 1" cast iron adapter with a deep AMC bell
housing. The bell housing is the same as the bell housing used with the T-15.

Later 70s FSJs with V8 engines use a 5" aluminum adapter and a
AMC T-15 bell housing. There are pictures of this version below.

Later 70s FSJs with I6 engines use a shorter aluminum adapter
and a AMC T-15 bell housing. The different adapter means a different length input.....
I have never seen the third example myself and have not verified the bellhousing as being a T15, but I have seen the T-18 with the 1 inch steel adapter in 1974 CJ5 from the factory. Just be prepared for a short driveshaft and not much lift if you have a CJ5 with stock rear axle location.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Quote:
The T-18s used in full size Jeeps(FSJs) such as the Cherokee,
Wagoneer, and J-series pickups use a transmission to bell housing
adapter. Three basic variations exist with different adapters.

Early 70s T-18s use a 1" cast iron adapter with a deep AMC bell
housing. The bell housing is the same as the bell housing used with the T-15.

Later 70s FSJs with V8 engines use a 5" aluminum adapter and a
AMC T-15 bell housing. There are pictures of this version below.

Later 70s FSJs with I6 engines use a shorter aluminum adapter
and a AMC T-15 bell housing. The different adapter means a different length input.....

Today I found another T18, one from a 73 T18 from a Ford for $300.00 or the 73 j20 with everything from the bellhousing to the transfer case for $400. Given the choice, what would be eaiser and/or cheaper? I called AA and Novack and they seemed to think it was about the same no matter which way I went. The first person I talked to at Novack thought the J20 mght be a bolt in but she wasn't sure.

I've not heard of the 1" cast adapter wiht a t18 in a early FSJ. I understand the orgional truck was a 73 J-20.

·
Registered
199 Posts
my 71 J2000 (Stock Buick 350/T18A/D20) has no cast iron adapter between the bellhousing and the tranny. I don't think the AMC powered rigs had one either. There is a 5" or so long aluminum spacer in between the bell housing and tranny, as well as a 1" cast iron adapter in between the tranny and transfercase.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A good first step was calling Novak. Now go to their website and read about the Jeep T-18. They say Jeep installed some 14 variations so finding a bolt-in for your application would seem incredibly lucky. You can play Johnny-f***-around for a while with this trans or go get a Junkyard Ford T-18 and an adapter from Novak, bolt it in and be done with it. That's what I did (CJ7)and I'm happy. No driveshaft changes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Actually, it would be cheaper for him to buy that J20 T-18 AND a junkyard Ford T-18 than a Novak or AA adapter and a junkyard Ford T-18. Then he would just need to swap the mainshaft and rear adapter plate from the J20 transmission over to the Ford unit. This would give him the shortest possible compination and would be functionally equivilent to what Novak or AA would sell him. It's just that their adapter kits are typically $500+. That is how my T-18 was created, Ford 2wd unit with Jeep or Scout mainshaft and adapter plate. Total cost to me was under $600. You can usually find the Jeep or Scout T-18s with the 4:1 first gear for really cheap.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm probably gonna repeat a few things that were posted, but here is what my experience has taught me with regards to what he has Q's on.

I had a Jeep T18 (4.03 1st) in my 76 CJ5 and wanted the lower gear. If this was your situation, you could have swapped in the Ford internals. I seriously considered this option too. But you've got other problems using the parts you've described.

Since the J truck bellhousing won't work, you will need to find a CJ bellhousing that will work with the CJ version of the T18. The Ford T18 will not simply bolt to the Jeep bellhousing. Once you've located the correct CJ bellhousing, then you must also locate the correct CJ length input shaft for the J truck T18. Then it all should work. If you look around, you might just find the entire combo (bellhousing/tranny/tcase) for sale, because someone is gonna upgrade. I recall seeing one listed for $400 which was a steal.

If you want to dump the AMC motor and go Ford small block (289-351w) you could get the matching Ford bellhousing, flywheel, starter and use the main shaft from the Jeep T18 along with a Tcase adapter from Advance or Novak. Of course this will mean that you'll also have to fab up some motor mounts or purchase them from M.O.R.E. or AA. The stock skidplate might have to be modified, or you can always fab up, or buy, a new (and better) one. This is the way I decided to go, everything is stock Ford from the fan to the rear of the tranny. The Ford T18 uses the main shaft from my old Jeep T18, and you can see the AA Dana20 adapter just ahead of the Tcase. Of course, nothing just 'bolts in'. So there will be a bit of Hack Fabrication involved with making the clutch work, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Aallison28, you still haven't told us what sort of CJ you are putting this in. If it is a CJ8, then it doesn't matter, go ahead and get the #*$&# J-20 T-18.

aallison28 said:
Today I found another T18, one from a 73 T18 from a Ford for $300.00 or the 73 j20 with everything from the bellhousing to the transfer case for $400. Given the choice, what would be eaiser and/or cheaper? I've not heard of the 1" cast adapter wiht a t18 in a early FSJ. I understand the orgional truck was a 73 J-20.
So I guess the salvage yard you are calling has no idea what the engine was in that truck?

This is a crummy picture of the I6 combo that is found on the early 70's AMC I6. (Not Rambler I6) This is a usefull setup.

This is the AMC V8 picture, notice the lenght of the aluminum adapter and bellhousing

If you can work on transmissions yourself, I would think about what JimKyser suggested, but if you can't then that is another story. Since we do not know which end of the world you are in, we also cannot guess how common these parts are.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok, if we review:

-If you are putting the J20 T18 into a CJ8 you could consider it but the shifter will come out of the floor about 8” back from where it did. I am not totally convinced that this option will work as the rear axel of the CJ8 is not pushed to the back of the body.

-If you want to use the J20 in any other CJ and not end up with a really short drive line, you need to change the input shaft to a short one. In your case I would go to the part store and ask for a shaft for a 1979 CJ T18.

-Bell housings: A 1977 thru 1979 CJ bell housing will be drilled and taped for both a Ford “butterfly” pattern (will fit the Ford T18) and a Jeep T18. However you can just drill and tap the existing Jeep bell housing that you have. Remember that if you use the Jeep T18 that the top driver side bolt goes with the head inside the bell housing a nut on the outside. The head of that bolt will need to be modified and the fork will need to be notched for the head as per the Jeep Tech article. http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/cjt18/

-If you use the Ford T18 you will need to use a special pilot bushing and an adapter on the back to mate with your x-case.

I would add up the totals for both options and make a decision.

Kriss

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack, but I've got a question along these lines.

The 80's J20s came with a T18 and a NP208 Tcase.
The NP208 and the Dana 300 bolt have the 6bolt circle bolt pattern and a 23 spline input shaft.
If you swapped a 'short' input shaft into the T18, wouldn't it be an effective way to get a T18/Dana 300 combo into a CJ without expensive adapters?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wasn't thinking about the1980 J trucks not having a Dana 20 but now that you mentioned it…... This demands some further research. I have a 300 mated up to a T18 but the 300 is a 1980 Scout (Texas bolt pattern) and my T18 is from a 1977 CJ.

Great call.

Kriss

1 - 17 of 17 Posts