Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats swapable between these motors i heard that all external parts (starter alternator water pump) would bolt up but the pistons heads and like would not is this correct.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The pistons are different. All other parts interchange. 305 heads' combustion chamber is smaller as well.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Yes,all external acc. are interchangable.Heads/pistons/rings are not.Intake/water pump/starter/power steering/alt./valve covers/oil pan all fit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ERR I am searching thru for interchange stuff...

One of you said the only thing that does not interchange is the pistons the other said that only the Accy's interchange, not heads....

·
Registered
622 Posts
The heads do interchange, cuz I've got a set of heads from a 350 that are on my 305. You could get the crank, rods to fit (with machining) but it's not worth the money, unless you've got more money than you know what to do with and really want to be different.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
trkklr77 said:
ummm small block heads are small block heads. some just have a realy small chamber [54cc] there are 2 potential difference, accy mount holes in the face and steam holes for the 400sbc. neither are any reason not to use them.
No reason that is, unless you've already got pretty healthy compression with larger chamber heads. The 54cc units could make pump gas a no-no in that case.

TEX

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Some say the 305 heads give you more power by raising the compression. The problem is that the flow of those heads is poor and the intake is only a 1.84 if I remember correctly. I bought 1.94 race flo's for my sons build and the machinist explained that it wouldn't work as well. Use 350 heads on a 4" bore motor.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
flexplate and some starters will not fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
TEX said:
Why would it take machining? Both utilize a 3.48" stroke crank.

TEX
The crank in a 305 and 350 have the same stroke but the crank will never balance because of the weight difference of the pistions in the 350 and 305

1 - 14 of 14 Posts