Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after a bit of searching with no luck, here are my questions....

The 4.0 in the 91 died after 230K (not totally dead, just an excuse to get another 4.0 so I have one for my Scrambler ;) ). I found a 4.0 from an 02 TJ with 4k on it for a steal. It came with everything (long block, intake, TB, injectors, wiring harness, alt, PS pump).

The 02 block has different mounting points for the accessories. Does anyone know of any interference issues with the Alt, PS, or A/C comp using the new brackets?

I am retaining the original wiring harness/computer, but want to use the new fuel injectors, will they work with the old computer?

The new engine uses different methods for measuring oil press and coolant temp. Are there any simple workarounds that allow me to use the existing (stock) gages?

TIA

·
Registered
20 Posts
sothpaw said:
I am retaining the original wiring harness/computer, but want to use the new fuel injectors, will they work with the old computer?
The '91 used a distributor and coil setup. The '02 uses computer controlled advance and one coil per two cylinders. I don't believe you can keep the computer from the '91 and use it with the '02 engine unless you swap the fuel injection from the '91 onto the '02 long block.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the ignition is not compatible, so I will be swapping in the 91 dist and coil. I will also be swapping in the 91 fuel rail. Does anyone know if the injectors will work with the old computer?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, this lack of response is rather underwhelming . I know this isn't a post about what grade of plastic washer to use in my beer can bender or serious tech like that:flipoff2: , but I figured a few people here might have something constructive to say.

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure:

02 engine:

http://www.bountifulenergy.com/images/Jeep/91vs02engine/02 fronta.jpg

http://www.bountifulenergy.com/images/Jeep/91vs02engine/02 temp sensor blanka.jpg

http://www.bountifulenergy.com/images/Jeep/91vs02engine/02 oil sensora.jpg

91 engine:

http://www.bountifulenergy.com/images/Jeep/91vs02engine/91 alt mounting pointsa.jpg

http://www.bountifulenergy.com/images/Jeep/91vs02engine/91 temp sensora.jpg

http://www.bountifulenergy.com/images/Jeep/91vs02engine/91 oil sensora.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
One quick thing, the TJ motor is setup to have the clutch fan driven off the water pump, where as the XJ it's driven off of the idler pulley. This is to aux. acommodate the electric fan. If you end up not using the waterpump pully from your TJ motor let me know I could use it on mine :D

If you're not going to use the PCM from the TJ then you'll probably need to swap out the water temp / oil press sensors. Since these are designed to be used with the ODBII PCM

I also think that the 02 TJ water pump inlet is at a different location than the older ones.

Tony W

·
Registered
946 Posts
Check the impedance(ohm rating) on the driver coil of the injectors and make sure they are the same, they usually come in 2 ranges or types:
Low Range- 1.7 to 3.0 ohms
High Range- 10 to 16 ohms

Also check type of injector and style...they have different nozzles. Run some parts by the dealer and look for the compatibility or status of updated parts. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wiltech said:
One quick thing, the TJ motor is setup to have the clutch fan driven off the water pump, where as the XJ it's driven off of the idler pulley. This is to aux. acommodate the electric fan. If you end up not using the waterpump pully from your TJ motor let me know I could use it on mine :D

If you're not going to use the PCM from the TJ then you'll probably need to swap out the water temp / oil press sensors. Since these are designed to be used with the ODBII PCM

I also think that the 02 TJ water pump inlet is at a different location than the older ones.

Tony W
I'll let you know on the water pump pulley, but I it may be going into the scrambler....

I am planning on swapping out the sensors, the issue I have currently is that the head is not drilled for the temp sensor. I really do not want to have to dissassemble this engine and drill and tap the head.

The water pump inlet is located higher than the older model's. I do not think this will pose an issue. There really isn't anything in the area that would cause interference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TJ Fan said:
Check the impedance(ohm rating) on the driver coil of the injectors and make sure they are the same, they usually come in 2 ranges or types:
Low Range- 1.7 to 3.0 ohms
High Range- 10 to 16 ohms

Also check type of injector and style...they have different nozzles. Run some parts by the dealer and look for the compatibility or status of updated parts. Hope this helps some.
I will do that. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
156 Posts
sothpaw said:
I am planning on swapping out the sensors, the issue I have currently is that the head is not drilled for the temp sensor. I really do not want to have to dissassemble this engine and drill and tap the head.
Why not use the the hole in the thermostat housing. here That's where the OBD-II PCM is picking up the water temp. If you need 2 sensors I know some people have driled and tapped that housing for a 2nd temp sensor. I will be doing this as well as soon as the dr. clears me to get back in the garage.

Tony W

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wiltech said:

Why not use the the hole in the thermostat housing. here That's where the OBD-II PCM is picking up the water temp. If you need 2 sensors I know some people have driled and tapped that housing for a 2nd temp sensor. I will be doing this as well as soon as the dr. clears me to get back in the garage.

Tony W
I have considered that, but I will still have to drill and tap a hole for the electric fan sensor. No big deal, just want to make sure there is not another solution I am overlooking.

Based on what I have found out so far, it looks like I will be using the new brackets (cool, moves the alternator up), but I have to figure out which hoses will work for the A/C, since the compressor will now be located on the driver's side of the engine below the PS pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts