Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found a nice 85 truck today. Body is straight, has a solid axle, interior could use some help. It has a three inch lift, that the guy says is factory? (If so, did these come with a different gear ratio?) 2 new BF 32.1150's and two that need replacement.) From the outside it's a shaper truck than my 4runner. The only draw back is that is a 22r. Anyhow, the guy started out at $2000. but was down to $1000 by the time I left. That is still more than Im willing to pay but if the price were right I might buy.

Dilema. I just rebuild my 22re, with cam and reworked injectors and I have all that money invested that I would never get back. Ive got the 2 1/4 exhuast and all the little bullshit I bought for the 87 Runner. The 22r in the truck runs good but not what I want. I just think Id be better off with my 22re. Thinking I could sell the runner and 22r after the swap. What do you guys think? I still have to rebuild the front end on the runner (or solid axle swap) and paint it so I should save some money. Any suggestions?

Im assuming the engine and tranny would just bolt up. Im worried that the electrical conversion would outweigh the trouble.

214 Posts
You could do the swap or you could go to a pull yard and pick up a second EFI system and install that on the truck. Swapping motors in your garage can be a real pain.. Did the same swap and the EFI conversion. You should net close to the same gain with the EFI alone. Besides. this way you have one vehicle for daliy use and the latter for weekend abuse.

There would be no reason to swap trannies yes ones a G5 series and the other is a W series but not that much difference between the two.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5 gear is out on the 85 plus the clutch. (no pedal, grinds going into gears). The tranny I have on the runner is a recent swap with brand new clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate.

I cant keep both. The runner and 22r would have to go to pay for all this.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
mix and match the two for the best results, sell whats left. im sure that it will cover the $1000 for the purchase of the truck

·
Registered
315 Posts
electrical connections

Toyota switched to different connectors in 1987, so you may have to swap the harnesses too if you plan to reinstall the 22r to sell it as running. Just something to think about.

Jeff

·
Registered
315 Posts
Save yourself a whole bunch of time and hassle, just SAS your 87. By the time you swapped motors out, tore the dash out of both trucks and switched wiring harnesses, switched fuel tanks so you could get the fuel pump, then put in the interior parts so the 85 was as nice as your 87 you could have bought a solid axle on here for $250 and a set of springs, and have less than 1K into it. And if you gather up all the parts you could have the SAS done in a weekend instead of several making 1 out of 2.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HMMM

Maybe he'll take $500 and Ill just keep both. Fix up the 85 run the hell out of it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There ya go...street rig, beater rig.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well, I offered him $500 and he shot me down in flames. I just dont think its worth a grand. Oil leak, no a/c, mushy clutch, 5th gear out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts