Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a C1500 that had a 4.3L in it and is a 5 speed, so far it is my understanding that the 5speed and clutch will bolt up fine to a 350. I am wondering what my best option would be for carb or to TBI it, I am tryin to do this on a tight budget (I still havent finished putting my rig together since I went fullsize on my lil blazer) But I want to get this truck and use it to tow my blazer if possible.

Anyone done this type of engine swap?
Will the motor mounts be in the same spot ?
Will I need a flywheel to use this engine with this tranny and clutch?
If I carb it what, what would be the most simple solution as far as the wiring thats there and the ignition Ill need (I figure HEI w/vacuum advance, but I dont want to rewire the whole damn truck and Id like to keep all the TBI harness in tact just for a down the road TBI if I find a dealio for the 350)
Any other for seeable obstacles in doing this?

Thanks for input

*on the TBI thing, ive heard that yes a 4.3L tbi will run a 350, but Im skeptical. I assume if I had a prom and a TBI for a 350 I could just swap those two items and be good for fuel injection, is this true? *

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If its any help or any diffrence, the 350 Im going to use is a one pc rear main type with center bolt valve covers, it wasnt injected and supposedly came as a crate longblock (thats all the info I have on this 350 )

·
Registered
618 Posts
Should be able to change the 2 injectors and run the existing computer. On the other hand if you put a carb and hei on that is simple too the only problem comes with some of the guages they are electronic so try to re use the senders from the 4.3. The 4.3 is basically the 350 with the front 2 cyl cut off so most everything will swap over.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WILLIE said:
Should be able to change the 2 injectors and run the existing computer. On the other hand if you put a carb and hei on that is simple too the only problem comes with some of the guages they are electronic so try to re use the senders from the 4.3. The 4.3 is basically the 350 with the front 2 cyl cut off so most everything will swap over.
That wont work with the injectors, I know for a fact that a 4.3 prom will not fire 350 injectors properly, been there done that :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I think you'd only have to change the injectors and the prom. IMO putting on a carb at this point would be fawking stupid. :flipoff2:

Pete

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pcorssmit said:
I think you'd only have to change the injectors and the prom. IMO putting on a carb at this point would be fawking stupid. :flipoff2:

Pete
Yea yea, I would rather be fuelie, but I would be limited finacially like I said, It isnt a priority to me to build this truck, but its a cheapy deal that could be cool,(plus I have a real nice edelbrock I could throw on it) Im more interested in what I need for a flywheel, will the 4.3 flywheel work on the back of this 350 (it is a 1 peice rear main block type 350) ??????????

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rodzzilla said:
Should be the same

Northern lists a flywheel for 1pc SB and a 4.3. As long as they are not considering the few 4.3 v8's. Hell, you work in a parts store PT, Search the parts book Fawker.:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Obviously your not familiar with AZ and there paperback collection, lets just say they have those gay ass terminals on the counter for a reason! (plus Im lazy, these questions are for people like you with nothing better to do but research my problems for me LOL :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
729 Posts
Never been in The Zone. Probably because of stupid counter monkeys like you.:flipoff2:

Looking up part info beats loading windows. Even if it is for a :rainbow: beer butt bong lover like you.

:beer:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree on the counter monkeys, I work with dudes that are absolutly clueless and its there FULL-TIME job!!! Its depressing, some guys are awesome some guys are idiots :rolleyes: I like to think Im somewere in the middle :flipoff2:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do the FI upgrades. It will save you $$$ if you want the gauges, etc. to work right. As far as towing, the 5-speed you got there is prob. a Getrag, not a New-venture. Don't think you want to be towing with it. Check and see if the bellhousing is one piece w/ the trans case. If so, it's a Getrag v-6 unit. Weaker than v-8s. I've got a spare if you need one.:D

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
kbud said:
Check and see if the bellhousing is one piece w/ the trans case. If so, it's a Getrag v-6 unit. Weaker than v-8s. I've got a spare if you need one.:D
My buddy's '93 K1500 had a 5 spd trans w/integral belhousing on it, with a 350.

Pete

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just repeating what I was told about this POS I have here. Haven't been able to sell it because it's the integral bellhousing and supposed to be weaker.

Anyway, Pdaddy, you will have to change the frame mounts. The flywheel, clutch, etc. will all work ok. Fan shroud will be shorter for the v-8. Might have to swap radiators if you're going to tow.

·
Registered
840 Posts
this might be a lil off topic but is it possible to take the throttle body off a TBI 350 or 454 and put it on my 4.3 TBI? ive heard u can do it but havent heard of anyone that HAS done it

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pyros46290 said:
this might be a lil off topic but is it possible to take the throttle body off a TBI 350 or 454 and put it on my 4.3 TBI? ive heard u can do it but havent heard of anyone that HAS done it
In a word NO, its not a bolt on replacement, the 4.3 PROM will not work with the larger injectors, I have tried to put 350 injectors in my 4.3 and it wouldnt even start up. I suppose if you put the PROM for said engine in your puter and put that TB on it would work, but I dont see the benifit from it, youd just be dumping more fuel and air into that poor 4.3

I am going to do the TBI, I already scored a PROM for the 4.3L puter, and I have found that the clutch and flywheel are the same (for the SBC I have its a 1pc rear main type block) so I guess I need motor mounts,radiator, distributor,intake and the other obvious things to make it work. Im really not going to make a big stink over which tranny is in it, Ill be nice to it as I can and its not like Ill tow with it very often, just when Im going someweres far away

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
You can't get away from me :evil:

What tranny is it? Sounds like a lot of work to me. So you'll have a half done trail AND tow rig now? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im definately going injection, I dropped the block off at the Machine shop today to get bored , crank polished up and/or turned and all that fun stuff. Heres what I had to get if anyone cares to know for the swap
The flywheel is the same so its all good.

I kept the 4.3L puter and just put a PROM out of a 350 puter in it
swapped for a 350 TBI and had to get an intake manifold for it (FREE :flipoff2: )

radiator (FREE :flipoff2: stole off neighbors junk truck!)

I also got a set of TBI 350 exhaust manifolds for free, so Im going to run those (good for low end torque and basically maintenance free!)

All in all it isnt a lot to do as long as you have access to a TBI350 to get the factory stuff off of, I got real lucky that I had some of this stuff laying around at friends or friends of friends places, not one guy had everything, but I had enough connections to get all of it so TBI it is!

I know Ill have to do motor mounts, but I havent pulled the 4.3 yet so Im not sure what all that will require, hopefully the general left me something to easily identify and go from on the frame rails

1 - 19 of 19 Posts