Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question I was hoping anyone out there could answer. Unfortunately I live in California, and I say unfortunately because our smog laws are bullsh*t. I'm thinking about buying a 1990 f250 gas. And swapping it with a 6.7L powerstroke. If I do this does it technically become smog exempt because 1990s diesels are smog exempt?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
LOL

What year trucks are allowed in California 2020?

Starting January 1,*2020, all remaining vehicles need to be replaced so that they all have 2010 model*year engines or equivalent emissions by January 1, 2023.Jun 18, 2019

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov › fsregsum

Truck and Bus Regulation Compliance Requirement ... - CA.gov

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Talk to your smog ref, they're the one with the final say on it passing or not anyway, they should be able to tell you how to make it happen if it can be done. My understanding of your state's bullshit laws is that you'll have to leave all the emissions gear alone though.

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
LOL

What year trucks are allowed in California 2020?

Starting January 1,*2020, all remaining vehicles need to be replaced so that they all have 2010 model*year engines or equivalent emissions by January 1, 2023.Jun 18, 2019

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov › fsregsum

Truck and Bus Regulation Compliance Requirement ... - CA.gov
That's heavy and some medium trucks, not an F250.

Diesel swaps are completly legal, it just needs to be the same weight class (It is) and newer than the old engine (it is) and retain all the emission devices (hard).

I would make an apointment with a ref just to make sure you understand it all, but personally a 6.7 swap would be a PITA.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,501 Posts
You would have to go to the ref to change from gas to diesel. Easier to start with a diesel. If by 6.7 you mean the current engine, all emissions equipment would have to be installed. EGR, DEF and cats.

·
Registered
4x4
505 Posts
It's not that difficult. No need to get the REF involved since the vehicle is so old. This is from another Forum where the OP converter a 1980 Toyota Pickup from a 22R gas to a VW TDI.

While dealing with DMV is never fun doing a diesel swap on a pre 97 vehicle is fairly straight forward. (In Cali) Fill out a Statement Of Fact, bring the vehicle with the swap completed and the form to your local DMV, they will verify that the motive power is in fact diesel and make the change on the registration.

Thanx,
Jaysin
Thread: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4543113#post4543113

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
It's not that difficult. No need to get the REF involved since the vehicle is so old. This is from another Forum where the OP converter a 1980 Toyota Pickup from a 22R gas to a VW TDI.

Thread: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4543113#post4543113
Not the case in CA. currently only 1975 and older.
If you brought a 1990 F250 with a 6.7 diesel swap to your bi annual smog check, you'd fail.
It has to go through a ref.

·
Registered
4x4
505 Posts
Not the case in CA. currently only 1975 and older.
If you brought a 1990 F250 with a 6.7 diesel swap to your bi annual smog check, you'd fail.
It has to go through a ref.
1975 and older for gasoline powered vehicles.
1997 and older for diesel powered vehicles.

If you swap your 1997 and older vehicle from gasoline powered to diesel powered. You go to the DMV with the statement of fact and they change the vehicle registration from gasoline to diesel. Hence no REF.

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts

If you swap your 1997 and older vehicle from gasoline powered to diesel powered. You go to the DMV with the statement of fact and they change the vehicle registration from gasoline to diesel. Hence no REF.
I dont think that is correct. Have you done this yourself?

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
I have a question I was hoping anyone out there could answer. Unfortunately I live in California, and I say unfortunately because our smog laws are bullsh*t. I'm thinking about buying a 1990 f250 gas. And swapping it with a 6.7L powerstroke. If I do this does it technically become smog exempt because 1990s diesels are smog exempt?
Unless there is something special about it i wouldnt.

Like said above. Id buy a dead diesel and start with that first.

Is there recuring smog checks where you live? Trinity county and many others have smog only when you buy or move into the county. After that its only when the truck is sold again.
If that was the case you could buy a running legal gasser then swap it and live a happy life.

·
Registered
4x4
505 Posts
I dont think that is correct. Have you done this yourself?
I have not done it myself.

However Jaysin's experience shows that for a vehicle that would be smog exempt if the vehicle was diesel powered (1997 and previous) then it is not overly difficult to do.

If the vehicle requires smog as a diesel, then the REF would be required to verify that the swap was performed legitimately. (1998 and newer)

The statement of fact is used to state the smog exemption status of a vehicle. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/reg/reg256

So if the vehicle is diesel powered and is a 1997 model year or previous it is exempt from smog testing (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq#BM2535). Hence there is no need for the REF as the REF verifies that engine swaps meet smog requirements.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Hitch in the giddy-up is STARTING with a gasser, hence gasser rules apply. It is not diesel powered until the DMV paperwork says it is, don't care what fuel you're putting in the tank to drive it to the DMV or the Ref.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts