Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of swapping my TH350 for a 700R4 in my 72 Chev. Shorty 4X4...Has anyone done this???? Any opinions or experiences????

I need to rebuild the trans. and figured I might just be better off swapping out the trans. since my RPM's are so high on the highway...

Any input is appreciated!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
350 - 700 r4

I wouldnt do it as i never have had good luck with these darn 700r4 I cant seam to get them to like horsepower or torque or towing and they are more expensive to rebuild and you will have to change your drive shaft lengths also as the tranny is a few "" longer and that typicaly cost $$$ also only to be left stranded ( my experience) and several friends as soon as 3 to 6 months up to a year later with little to no warning
best of luck
Randy
72Chev4X4 said:
I am thinking of swapping my TH350 for a 700R4 in my 72 Chev. Shorty 4X4...Has anyone done this???? Any opinions or experiences????

I need to rebuild the trans. and figured I might just be better off swapping out the trans. since my RPM's are so high on the highway...

Any input is appreciated!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
350 - 700r4

Oh ya also HAve you done the REAL MATH yet ??
You know for example I currently get 10 mpg with a 350 with a 700r4 i will get 12 mpg i save 2 mpg i pay 2.00 per gallon i traveled 10,000 miles this year normal cost at 10 mpg is $2000.00 with the 700r4 (if it makes it that far) only cost me $1666.66 in fuel but the 700 r4 cost me 400 dollers more to rebuild before it died you just lost $66.66 + your time and energy it must last at least 20,000 miles in my opion to make it worth it mabe buy new from the dealer that way you get a 3 year guarnate but you pay a lot more so your back in the same SINKING boat just my $ .02 and experience worth
xsintrick1 said:
I wouldnt do it as i never have had good luck with these darn 700r4 I cant seam to get them to like horsepower or torque or towing and they are more expensive to rebuild and you will have to change your drive shaft lengths also as the tranny is a few "" longer and that typicaly cost $$$ also only to be left stranded ( my experience) and several friends as soon as 3 to 6 months up to a year later with little to no warning
best of luck
Randy

·
Registered
823 Posts
xsintrick1 said:
Oh ya also HAve you done the REAL MATH yet ??
You know for example I currently get 10 mpg with a 350 with a 700r4 i will get 12 mpg i save 2 mpg i pay 2.00 per gallon i traveled 10,000 miles this year normal cost at 10 mpg is $2000.00 with the 700r4 (if it makes it that far) only cost me $1666.66 in fuel but the 700 r4 cost me 400 dollers more to rebuild before it died you just lost $66.66 + your time and energy it must last at least 20,000 miles in my opion to make it worth it mabe buy new from the dealer that way you get a 3 year guarnate but you pay a lot more so your back in the same SINKING boat just my $ .02 and experience worth
you pay $2.00/gal for gas in LA?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Find a good tranny shop to build the 700. Can't imagine not having overdrive now. They can be built to tow and handle high horsepower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Have A Trust Issue With All Autos But The 700 Can Be Built Tough With The Right Parts. I Am Curious How To Deal With The Lockup T- Converter Feature When Retrofiting In Older Trucks. Any Help Out There? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
STOMPER53 said:
I Am Curious How To Deal With The Lockup T- Converter Feature When Retrofiting In Older Trucks. Any Help Out There? Thanks.
rpm switches(llike MSD's) along with the stock 4th gear pressure switch work well. 12 volts and a ground is needed to engage the solenoid. Some people simply hook up a switch that they control themselves. Speed sensing switches are also available.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put a slightly used factory rebuilt 700r4 in my 79 K5 about 4 1/2 years ago. I used the cheap TCI lock up kit on the TC and am running it behind a mildly built 350(Comp Cam, Edelbrock intake, etc.). It is in front of a 203/205 doubler to D60/14b with 4.56s turning 39.5 Swampers. I have driven it on many long highway trips up and down california in the summer, and wheeled the rubicon, Hammers, and Dusy with it and it has not failed me yet. I don't have an odometer so the best estimate is ~10K miles in 4.5 years. Best advice is plenty of Tranny coolers(I run two large ones), and keep the TV cable CORRECTLY adjusted. I read up on it and adjusted it 4 years ago but don't remember now how to do it. I am very happy with it, more on the trail with 3.06:1 1st than I am on the highway. I drive mostly in D on the highway any way with only rare use of the OD on long downhills or nice tailwind. Do the Swap it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
i bought a "punisher" 700 from http://www.maddogtransmissions.com/new_index.htm in florida. it was 1,400 delivered with a cooler and tp cable.

install was smooth. just had to move the crossmember back a little bit. and have my driveshafts lengthened and shortened.

i think all in all i spent 2,000.

i did have a problem with the first tranny and ended up sending it back, turned out the case was cracked. they sent me another one and it has been going strong. it's probabley only been about 10,000 miles. i use the truck for a tow rig only.

i don't know how much gas it has saved me but i do drive faster on the freeway now.

as far as lock-up. i never hooked it up. they said i didn't have to but if i wanted to, they recommended i get the B&M kit, and it should drop my rpm's about 800.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts