Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a tracker from a friend that he has never delivered title too and has suddenly moved. It's not going to be a daily driver but I need it road legal. Can I get the vin plate of a car along with title to that car and then swap them out LEGALLY?? What is the best way to do this?

Jack

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
ummmm no..... vin is a vehicle identification number, identifies one vehicle not to be swapped over, you need to call your "friend" and get the title

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you have a bill take it to the DMV and get a new title, if you don't go to the DMV and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In most states you will need a power of attorney signed by your "friend" and signed and sealed by a notery along with a bill of sale.

·
Registered
509 Posts
put a lean on the truck. it only takes about 30 days to clear and the truck is leagaly yours..... and ass far as swaping vins, dont go making this shit public. not smart. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

My friend's mother bought it from her friend for use at their farm and never got title to it because she had it about a week. She then decided she didn't like it so my friend sold it to me. I've been to see the orginal owner but she says she doesn't have the title and she's old and won't come to the door if she doesn't know the person. So I called the DMV and they said the orginal owner has to request for a lost title. But since I can't get the women to the door.

Could I just do the lean thing? I could then try to call her and just tell her not to do anything so that title can be transfered to me. The only problem I could see is the car is already payed off by her will the lean thing still work?

Sorry this was so long I appricate it.

Jack

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
i bought a turd from a impound yard with no title... no idea of past owner. i had a friend of a friend who owned a machanic shop send for a machanic's lean title.... cost $200 and took like 4 months. maybe try that if you got the right connections

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i bought a turd from a impound yard with no title... no idea of past owner. i had a friend of a friend who owned a machanic shop send for a machanic's lean title.... cost $200 and took like 4 months. maybe try that if you got the right connections
Well I work at a shop so I could probably have that done but I don't want to pay $200 I only spent $100 on the whole car.

Jack

·
Registered
62 Posts
Like I said in my earlier post get a power of attorney and mail it to the owner then when you get it back have it noterised then you your self can get the title because the owner has given you the authority to act on their behalf regarding the vehicle in question. cost =free

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I missed yours. I'm new to the whole legal aspect of this kind of stuff.(I'm just turning 18) How do I get power of attorney?

Jack

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in your state but in tennessee you can go to the local dmv (county clerk's office) and they have the paper work on file. Get a copy of the power of attorney and see if you can do the title swap in one fell swoop. if not you will be given or sent a title in the original title holders name then you mail the title to her (or get someone she knows to get her to the door) and have her sign it. then the vehical is yours. the power of attorney paper work (1 sheet in tenn.) usually has to be noterised by a notery public (ask around youd be suprised how many you know). I know this sounds like a PITA but its free and legitimate. now you know why everyone's first question when you sell your car is do you have the title. but don't feel bad i'm dealing with the same thing right now on a cadillac but the owner lives 300 miles from me and has alztimers (FUN).:shaking::laughing:

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
In California the lost title paperwork/bill of sale does not need to be notorized, so get the paper from the DMV, take it out to the parking lot, have "the guy that sold it to you" fill out some info and then have "the guy that sold it to you" sign it. Walk back inside the DMV and get your new title!!!

Dane

·
Registered
62 Posts
the point being go talk to the dmv folks they have the answers (and they are so friendly and helpful:flipoff2:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts