Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 94 yj I6. he wanted to instead of buying new ring and pinion gears if it would be a good idea to swap his axels for ones from a 4cyl yj with the 4:10 gears. We can get these axels for farely cheap so he would be saving some money. ios his a good idea, and are there any disadvantages to these axles or are they the same. I know that with toyotas the v6 gears/difs are stronger than the 4cyl's. i dont know if its the same for jeeps. thanks a lot

·
Registered
823 Posts
the rear axle is weak no matter what. dont have the 4cy vs 6cyl gearsets like a yota.

That said cheap and easy way to change gear ratios if he cant afford better axles---just sold a set to someone who's going to do the same thing, put em under a 6cyl with 33s----better than 3.07s

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i know the 35 is bad. this is only a tempoary thing till he gets an 8.8. Any other thoughts from anyone else

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Cheap & easy swap, i helped a buddy do it last fall. Took a few hours to complete. Save yourself time, go ahead and buy all new u bolts and just cut the old ones off. You know your suppose to replace them anyhow;)

Its an effective alternative for lower gearing for people on a tight budget, he can take the money he saved & buy a locker or two. PLus you will have a full set of spare axle shafts. The spares should hold him until he gets the 8.8 swap done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys we wil definitly do it now.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Or..

Get the new d30 with 4.10s and don't buy the d35. Sell the d35 under his YJ and spend that $ on an 8.8

I don't see the sense is spending $ on another d35 only to swap it out in 2 or 3 months... :eek:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I was going to do that but i figured 3.55's with limited slip would be better than 4.10's and open. It was a good price though $175 for both axles.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i did it.

i would do it again too. just take it easy on the go-pedal and plan on swapping the rear out as soon as possible. if you swap the D35 back out before it blows, sell it to someone else for cheap.

matt

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Geeze!!!! As usual, some A$$ bandit giving the " I'm on Pirate 4X4, I have to be an A$$" attitude!!!!! I agree, swap in the 4 banger axles for less $$... Not all of us have $25k to spend on our rigs.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the help everybody

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Lincolnloc said:
Geeze!!!! As usual, some A$$ bandit giving the " I'm on Pirate 4X4, I have to be an A$$" attitude!!!!! I agree, swap in the 4 banger axles for less $$... Not all of us have $25k to spend on our rigs.....
If this guy and his "friend" don't have the common sense to realize that you can swap in axles with a different ratio from the same vehicle and not have any disadvantages associated with it.....

I think you can see where I'm going with that :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts