Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wheeled my Jeep for the first time in a while, and ran into an odd problem. The dual rate slider slid up over the stop nuts and jammed the coil up. I'm not sure if it's just an issue of worn out parts, or if I have them set up incorrectly. It was a major PIA to get the coil off the shock. I just had to cut up the slider in pieces and try to wedge them out.

I wondered if the sliders should be flipped with the short side up, but it seems all the pictures I see on the internet shows the long side up.

Not the best picture, but they are 14" travel shocks with a 12" and 14" coil. The back coilover shows how they were set up.

Also, as you can see I was very close to having the same problem on the other side.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've ran into that also. Just happens when the sliders are wore out.

You can turn them upside down just make sure they dont fall off the shock body when fully extended. Best fix is to get new sliders.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Never had that issue with my SAWs, I have run the sliders both ways. Now they are long side up on all fours with zero issues. They may just be worn out??

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Is the flange broken off the one in the second pic? Did that happen 'wheeling, or did you do that to get it apart? It looks like you have a second issue of that your stop nuts are too low, allowing your bottom spring to go to bind. If that happens, the load on the slider will go through the roof, usually breaks the slider in the process.

Anyway, I'd guess they're just worn out, I've heard some say they should be run short side up to prevent breakage, I run mine long side up because otherwise they fall off the body at full droop (I have 14" lower springs on 14" and 16" shocks). If I ran 16" lower springs, I could run them short side up, but I already have 14" springs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking closer at my pictures, I think part of the problem is not enough travel on the slider. I think I need to move the stop nuts up at least another 3".
I may have flipped the sliders the last time I had them out, which probably made the problem worse (less travel).

I'll just order some new sliders and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the flange broken off the one in the second pic? Did that happen 'wheeling, or did you do that to get it apart? It looks like you have a second issue of that your stop nuts are too low, allowing your bottom spring to go to bind. If that happens, the load on the slider will go through the roof, usually breaks the slider in the process.

I did that to get them off. Also, I posted before I saw your post about the stop nuts. I didn't realize I had them that low. I'm sure that was a lot of the problem.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
my money is on this.

figure out the block height of the spring. (measure the OD of the wire, count the number of wraps. do some math) if the block height is greater than the distance from the bottom of the shock to the crossover, you've found your problem.

my advice when you get new ones is to flip them over long side down, get the proper springs on there and ditch the tender.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
my money is on this.

figure out the block height of the spring. (measure the OD of the wire, count the number of wraps. do some math) if the block height is greater than the distance from the bottom of the shock to the crossover, you've found your problem.

my advice when you get new ones is to flip them over long side down, get the proper springs on there and ditch the tender.
x3 on Scott and x2 on this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts