Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've been 70+ mph across a frozen wind blown Norwegian lake on a snowmobile. It was choppy, and my buddy, Bjarne, asked me not to do that again. :laughing: I can't see the vids here at work, but I can imagine.
picture a proper v1 sized pulse jet with inlet vanes making 300lb of thrust, mounted center line on a snowmobile, chained to a post with a quick release.

they fire it, dude waves, someone pulls the cord and he's off.
to 150mph over what I think is a 2km course.

The first thing I said was "The winters must be too long there"

and also that I have to bucket list a trip to sweden for speed weekend on a frozen lake.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Heh heh, cool. Pulse jets aren't really throttable, are they? :confused:

I found myself looking at the same kind of shit mostly when looking up how to build a junkyard jet engine just to have run on a stand...
if you also fall down the youtube rabbit hole one of the test videos shows he has half and full throttle.
I think just to keep from annihilating people at the start line with full throttle.
I assume just by controlling solenoids to injectors.

I think they use propane.

undeniably cool, but won't a modern 800/850 with a big turbo do close to the same speed? I know there are guys out my way that do 120-130 on the straight stretches on some of the powerline trails using non-racing sleds, not even considering the lakes.

But don't get me wrong - Pulse Jet > not pulse jet.

I think they do it just to be in a jet class.
they're doing it like bonneville and setting ice speed records.

·
Registered
28,137 Posts
picture a proper v1 sized pulse jet with inlet vanes making 300lb of thrust, mounted center line on a snowmobile, chained to a post with a quick release.

they fire it, dude waves, someone pulls the cord and he's off.
to 150mph over what I think is a 2km course.

The first thing I said was "The winters must be too long there"

and also that I have to bucket list a trip to sweden for speed weekend on a frozen lake.
Let's go. I frequently go to Norway. Plan on tickets to Stockholm being $700 to $1200 depending on when you buy and how far from the east coast you are. Then it willl be $150 to $175 (USD) to Ostersund which is next toStorsjön (the lake where the races are). It looks like there are hotels in the area, and I'm sure that an airbnb could be planned way early.

Dibs on the Akvavit.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Let's go. I frequently go to Norway. Plan on tickets to Stockholm being $700 to $1200 depending on when you buy and how far from the east coast you are. Then it willl be $150 to $175 (USD) to Ostersund which is next toStorsjön (the lake where the races are). It looks like there are hotels in the area, and I'm sure that an airbnb could be planned way early.

Dibs on the Akvavit.
we're legit looking into it.

it seems like most speak english.

I'd probably drive to my brother's house so we could fly out of Philadelphia.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts