Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of my heep is a 86 cj7 4 speed dana 300 and i have a friend that is giving me a 258 to put in it.
I have the 4 banger in it now and have been told that all i need is a 6 cyl bell housing and motor mounts to do this swap and i have also been told that i need to change the input shaft on the tranny to do this swap.

more people have told me that it is only bell housing and motor mounts but a few have said the input shaft is wrong so i am confused.
can you help a brother out?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
If I am correct your Jeep has the GM 2.5 liter Iron Duke 4 cylinder and if that is the case why not swap a small block Chevy in. I believe they use the same bellhousing bolt pattern.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope not the iron duck they quiteusing thoose in 84 it is the same 4 cyl that is in the yjs
or lese i would be 350

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
BTW, which tranny is in that thing? Is it a T-4? You may want to swap that out too because the 4 cyl trannies are usually pretty week. Some can handle a 6 and none can sit behind an 8. My vote is for a Ford 302 and T-18 combo. If you want to stay with a 6, I like the 4.0l w/ an AX-15 w/ an external slave. You will need motor mounts from a CJ with a 258 for the 4.0l. I have no idea about the tranny, but at the least I think you need a new pilot bushing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts