Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
switching 351w to electonic distributor* update new question

Newbie from the jeep side with a question for the Ford experts. I want to switch my '78 model 351W to an electronic distributor. I have the distributor, wiring harness, and ignition module. My question is, can I use my old cap and rotor? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Cap= $12
Rotor button=$3

$15 bucks and no worries bout an old cap/rotor.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
You can use your old cap and rotor but the larger diameter '79-up style cap has better post isolation for less chance of crossfire.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realized that after buying a Chilton this weekend. The engine must be older. I just always say '78 351W so the idiots at the part store can get me parts for it. Thanks for the help.

Joel

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The old cap/rotor work fine. I have had this setup on my 302 then 351, and a 460. But I did this since I had 9mm taylor wires that fit the older style cap, also I have a bunch of brand new cap/rotors that my dad had laying around for years from when he work in a garage.

Just buy the new stuff.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I have another problem.

It seems the shaft on the Electronic distributor is slightly smaller than the old one, so it doesn't want to slide down onto the oil pump shaft. Can I swap the shafts on the distributors or am I screwed? Both of them are part # 12127. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
joelb23 said:
Ok I have another problem.

It seems the shaft on the Electronic distributor is slightly smaller than the old one, so it doesn't want to slide down onto the oil pump shaft. Can I swap the shafts on the distributors or am I screwed? Both of them are part # 12127. Thanks.
Sounds like you have a 302 distributor. They have a smaller oil pump shaft.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That bastard sold me the wrong distributor. IS there somewhere I can search by part number to make sure before I chew his ass out? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts