Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was just thinking about this. i have a low pinion chebby D44. of course it only has one flat top, on the drivers side. now, as far as i know i could threoretically unbolt the drivers side knuckle and put it on the pass side, and vise verse. this would put the steering arms towards the rear on both side, and sice i was going to build a new draglink between the the two knuckles anyway i could just doulbe wall it and put a few bends and same with the steering linkage from the box, and ahve it to fit over/around the pinion and have everything behind the axle. also this would allow me to use my rear facing steering box and just flip the pitmant arm forward to get the reverse swing.

now for my question, this isnt really going to mess with my caster, toe, or that thing where the inner tire turns sharper than the outside one (ii know this is due to caster yes).

thanks,
Callen

....and yes i could get a flattop pass knuckle and a SII PS box, but i dont wanna shell out for with of those if this can work, even if i have to get a pass flattop to get the draglink above the pinion it would be kinda cool to have everything behind the axle for protection.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
overeasy said:
have you looked at drag link to oil pan clearance?
yes, there could never be a problem, i set my engine hi and far back, the crank pully is almost directly above my axle, but i will check it out.

assuming they clear, is there any side effects to the axle?

Callen

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
78bronco460 said:
I think the brakes would be a problem... are you planning to put them on backwards too?

no, just the knuckle, thats all, everthing else cannot be put on backwards actually.

Callen

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Aren;t there notches in the knuckles for the brake calipers/brackets? If so , then your would have to relocate the brakes as well.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I bet you could take a drivers side brake calaper and backing plate and put it on the passenger side. I'm not sure what the factory akerman angle is set at but you would have the reverse of what is usualy there. If this is an off road only application I think it would work just fine (don't know about on road).

You could always run 2 drivers side nuckles and do high cross over/tie rod at the same time. Then you woulden't have to bend your tie rod and could set up your akerman angle with the steering arms. I have always thought about doing this but never tried it so see if it would work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I posted the same ? on the newbie board, Then went to town. I had to switch everything from left to right, even the brakes. It looks like it will work. I'm waiting on some hiems to finish the steering setup. I don't think you'll have to bend the tierod, it looks like it will clear. By the way I'm running two flat tops too.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
cracked skull

you are in the process of doing this?

what i was thinking was to take everything and flip it. then just clock the brake bracket back to its origional place in the rear upper corner.

I just checked out how ackerman works. the steering arms point inward just a bit so that the inside wheel while turning turns sharper. if i were to use flat tops on both sides would just have to get some histeer arms with a outward pointing arm on them. with the arms pointing towards the rear you would need an arm that points outward slightly, the only problem i can think of is the arm interfearing with the wheel/tire, but i bet some 2" backspacing would take car of that.

Callen

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have both sides fliped already. I put the brakes on the front, it looked like they would hit the arms if I did't. I could send you some pics if you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts