Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been a Rhino guy since 2004. I am on my third, a 700 Sport. Really a great machine...underpowered, but overall super nice and tight.

My Dad just picked up a 800XP Polaris Limited Edition this fall. He was keeping it somewhere else, so I had not had any time on it until this weekend.

I took it out and MAN, I am 100% underwhelmed with the quality on this UTV. I have been lusting over a RZR-S here recently, but if it has the same build quality as this Ranger, I am not about to sell my Rhino for one.

I also rode a Teryx this week at KOH and put a BUNCH of hard desert miles on it and I cannot tell any difference in it and my Rhino. Two very similar machines. Build quality on it was excellent like my Yamaha.

I did notice a bit more power on the top end on the Teryx. When running 35-40 and you floor it, the Teryx has bit of "jump" left wheres my Rhino (with sheve for 50 mph top speed) feels flat.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Maybe I am just trying to talk myself out of the Polaris change, but I would be interested to hear others thoughts.

Kinda sucks that the UTV boards are mostly brand specific and it is hard to get unbiased opinion.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have a rzr and I have buddies with rhino's and teryx's. I have to admit both the rhino and teryx overall is better quality and built better. Some things on the polaris are nicer such as all braided brake lines. Only problem I have had out of my rzr is broken front diff cage but I just ordered a billet one that should take care of that. Not sure how hard you run your rhino but were rough on these utv's. My buddies rhino's 700 front diff has not worked for over a year now. He has went through more cv's then I care to count and broken a couple axle shafts. I run my rzr just as hard if not harder then he does. Teryx really doesnt have to many problems. I have not rode in one of the efi ones but the carb teryx's are LOUD and it feels like your in a oven. For some reason that thing puts of crazy heat and I wont even ride in it. Like I said the EFI Teryx's may be better. As far as performance hands down rzr beats them. Climbs, jumps, speed you name is stock vs stock rzr owns them all hands down. I like them all and they all have there place but trust me you would not regret a rzr s. My parents have one and I drive it every chance I can :D

·
UTVGuide.net
2,838 Posts
I agree with you, the Teryx and Rhinos are great machines. Solid performers with the edge in performance going to the Teryx.

And I have not had any issues with Polaris UTVs. I own a 2008 RZR. And have had 2 demo RZR S, a RZR 4 and a RANGER HD.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe this 800XP was just assembled on Friday or something??

I have had CV problems on mine, but they were from me letting junk in the boots after they were cut riding through cut corn fields. I can't blame the Rhino on that one.

I have had one worn Ball joint but I think that is because of the spacers I put on that I am not about to take off.

I agree the RZR-S is an amazing machine, I am just not into shit that rattles.

One other thing, sometimes the drive belt fails to engage on the Ranger. H-L-R is just pops and backfired until you shift through the gears a few times and it will catch.

Less than 10 hours on this thing.....

I need to see what Can Am comes up with I guess.....I can't stand poor quality.

·
Premium Member
30,147 Posts
Maybe this 800XP was just assembled on Friday or something??

I have had CV problems on mine, but they were from me letting junk in the boots after they were cut riding through cut corn fields. I can't blame the Rhino on that one.

I have had one worn Ball joint but I think that is because of the spacers I put on that I am not about to take off.

I agree the RZR-S is an amazing machine, I am just not into shit that rattles.

One other thing, sometimes the drive belt fails to engage on the Ranger. H-L-R is just pops and backfired until you shift through the gears a few times and it will catch.

Never heard of that. Not being sarcastic, but are you sure the ebrake wasnt on, even one or two notches?

99% of the few belt problems I see on Rangers are creeping around while you have it in high range. If you are driving under 12 keep it in low.

I sell Rhinos and Rangers and see some rear end work being done on the Rangers and some motor jobs from improper air cleaner and mud/water on the Rhinos.

Suprises me that somebody actually "got a bad one"

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I honestly think that there are just lemons out there and just some machines are junk. I bought a 04 yfz 450 and had nothing but problems. That thing cost me a arm and a leg. Bought a 05 the next year and never had one single problem out of it and I ran it even harder then the 04. There was not really any changes between the 04 and 05 bikes either.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well to compare a Ranger to a RZR is not exactly a fair comparison... I would find it hard to believe you would not like a RZR-S...

All brands have their bad design issues

·
Registered
272 Posts
My buddy and myself both bought rzr s's in december and have had nothing but problems with them. Both rzr s's broke the front axle sprague carrier immediately and were forced to upgrade on my dime or continue to constantly break their inferior plastic cage. Had my computer replaced and the speedo cluster replaced along with the battery. The other is constantly dropping the drivers side rear axle shaft out from the diff. Dealer can't fix it. 3 rides on each of them. I should have known better as I have had many problems with polaris in the past but never with honda, yamaha and suzuki. :shaking: Going to have to shell out $1300.00 for the 5 year extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My buddy and myself both bought rzr s's in december and have had nothing but problems with them. Both rzr s's broke the front axle sprague carrier immediately and were forced to upgrade on my dime or continue to constantly break their inferior plastic cage. Had my computer replaced and the speedo cluster replaced along with the battery. The other is constantly dropping the drivers side rear axle shaft out from the diff. Dealer can't fix it. 3 rides on each of them. I should have known better as I have had many problems with polaris in the past but never with honda, yamaha and suzuki. :shaking: Going to have to shell out $1300.00 for the 5 year extended warranty.

That sucks.I broke my spraque carrier as well but it took me over a year. I had a buddy break his first weekend out. You have to be a little smart with them. When your climbing hard hill and that front end comes off the ground LET OFF THE THROTTLE , you land hard on the throttle and you will bust that carrier. Same thing goes for jumping in 4wd. I know 7 guys including myself that I ride with on a regular basis that have rzrs and only problems have been is a couple broken cv's and about 4 of us have broken the front carrier. 3 of them warranty covered but mine is out of warranty but I bought a alum carrier. They all have there problems. Like I said I have seen alot more problems out of my buddies rhino then any of our rzr's. Im sorry you have had such bad luck out of yours.

EDIT: BTW im going on a big ride at smorr, mo park in 2 weeks with about 5 rzr's and a couple rhino's. Ill let you know the damage :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sound like ur dealer sucks is the issue... there is a fix for everything but the front sprague... That's somewhat a driver issue. You have ur foot on gas in the air that clutch system really builds up speed. I tap mine a couple times but NEVER stay on it. The axle falling out is an updated part that Polaris came out with.... Polaris dealers really suck IMO... there is a great RZR forum that has answers to all your problems you just stated.

I have close to 2000 miles on mine and only issues have been CV's with was due to a cheap ass lift kit. Took that off and put HD CV's and all good now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sound like ur dealer sucks is the issue... there is a fix for everything but the front sprague... That's somewhat a driver issue. You have ur foot on gas in the air that clutch system really builds up speed. I tap mine a couple times but NEVER stay on it. The axle falling out is an updated part that Polaris came out with.... Polaris dealers really suck IMO... there is a great RZR forum that has answers to all your problems you just stated.

I have close to 2000 miles on mine and only issues have been CV's with was due to a cheap ass lift kit. Took that off and put HD CV's and all good now.
In icy conditions and snow when traction is on and off the idea of a plastic sprague carrier lasting is insane. My dealer is small and not well set up unfortunately. We will see this weekend what breaks. Hopefully nothing but I have 28 miles on it and am harder on jeeps that have costed alot less. Don't get me wrong it is a frigin blast to drive and is wicked on all sorts of terrain! Just wanting what $15,000 should give me.

·
Banned
24,243 Posts

Never heard of that. Not being sarcastic, but are you sure the ebrake wasnt on, even one or two notches?

99% of the few belt problems I see on Rangers are creeping around while you have it in high range. If you are driving under 12 keep it in low.

I sell Rhinos and Rangers and see some rear end work being done on the Rangers and some motor jobs from improper air cleaner and mud/water on the Rhinos.

Suprises me that somebody actually "got a bad one"
I'm not sure if Nolen's description is accurate to this or not, but I do know that on all the modern Polaris' it will half go into gear sometimes. Something doesn't fully engage because it's slightly out of sync and when you gas it to go it will "pop out" instead of start pulling.

It's not really a belt problem but just an engagement problem, and it's not really a problem, just a minor hassle

·
Banned
24,243 Posts
Mine feels like a mechanical, engagement issue. Maybe the linkage. It is at the dealer now to see if they can find the problem.
I think that's fairly common and likely the same thing I was referring to.

It's not a real issue per se, I don't think and is more of an aggravation. My sportsman has done it from the beginning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts