Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent done a build thread on here before but there have been request lately so I thought I would start one on my most recent project.

First to get you up to speed on my junk, here's a link to my Photobucket for the original build, version 1.0;

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww153/4WD_HEADQUARTERS/Syota Build I/

And here's a link to the cab swap and beyond, about 1½ years after version 1.0;

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww153/4WD_HEADQUARTERS/Syota Build II/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

I dont get how Photobucket organizes the pics because they are all out of sequence, but if you have any questions/comments feel free to blast away.....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The latest project is a hear transplant from the reliable and very useful GM 4.3 liter V6 that I've been very happy with for the last 4½ years its been in the truck.... The time has just come for something new, bigger, more, more, more....And to see if I could. These first few pics are from my old cell phone so they suck.

Back in July I picked up the new mill with computer, harness and many other odds and ends;

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stripped it down a bit and had to do a few changes to get it ready;

PIcked up some corvette exhaust manifolds for the swap;

I also had to swap the oil pan, the throttle body and a few sensors for my gauges.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From 12/30/2011: Now for the stressful part of the swap...... taking the old set up apart.... I was very happy with the 4.3 but evidently I just couldnt leave it alone.......also most of you know I've been having the hot hard start issue? I discoved the source of that in the removal of the old motor;

Out with the old;

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1/1/2012: And after removing the old motor mounts from the frame rails and fabing up new ones, cleaning up wiring and a few other minor things, In with the new;

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1/1/2012: Now for plumbing and wiring........ the time consuming parts......... See ya on the trail in March ....... I hope.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1/2/2012: The few minutes I had today were to finish bolting up the bell housing, torque converter and install the starter..... test fit the mainfolds and they look like they might work......
got some pics of how tight things are;

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1/2/2012: And a couple of the motor mounts;

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1/6/2012: Nothing in the way of progress over the last few days as I get home from work after dark...... I did pick up some parts or supplies for the build this week and have all weekend to wrench on it....... Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That brings us to this past weekend; Another weekend has come and gone...... I was able to get quite a bit done this weekend.....I started Saturday morning with a quiet job of moving the winch solonoids from teh drivers fender well to the passenger fender well to make room for the PCM for the new motor. Once that was moved I could start making noise so I removed the P/S reservoir mounts to move forward to line up the the new location of the P/S pump...... :D Pics of this to come later..... The primary objective was to get the exhaust manifolds on and the Y pipe built..... The manifolds I got off of Craigslist for an LS7 Corvette were nice center, dump tubular, stainless that I modified to tuck closer to the block and exit within the Toyota frmae rails....... tricky part? typically tubule manifolds/headers exit with the 4 tube in a square pattern, or occasionally in a 4 > 2 > 1 configuration....... these manifolds exit in a oval design as the tubes are all inline.....

Here was my solution;
Driver side;

Passenger side;

Engine side;

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once the manifolds were done and bolted up, I used some 2011 OEM Camaro stainless exhaust pipes, donated by my boos at work, (also used to mod the outlest of the exh manifolds) to build a Y pipe to a single 3"

Driver side;

Passsenger side;

I'm about 90% sure everything will clear the front diff and suspension but need to compress fully to be sure......

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After this I installed the Dipstick tube, a real PITA, mounted the P/S reservoir and mocked up the PCM mount;

That was it for Saturday.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sunday started with the goal to fab up a throttle cable and kickdown/TV cable mount amoung some smaller items I'll ad later. Since this engine was originally a drive by wire unit there was no cable mounts of any kind, in fact I had to replace the throttle boddy and PCM with drive by cable models.....Why Cable and not wire? Well I didnt have the reostat gas pedal and mainly I NEEDED to be able to hook up the kick down/TV cable for my 700r4 trans which without the cable hooked up the trans doesnt last long at all and I didnt want to go with a manual valve body.....So a day of fabbing up a bracket for both cables was in store.....

I had to stop for a while to take my nephew to the airport but when I got back I hooked up the fuel lines and trans dipstick tube, hooked wiring to the starter, not tight yet as I need to add a cable for the winch power yet and hooked up P/S hoses to the pump...... Still alot to do but I felt it was a productive weekend.

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
Very nice! I am starting on a 5.3 swap in my SAS'ed 88 4runner. What are you doing for a radiator/fan?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ron Davis dual pass in the bed...Taurus fan using both speeds with 2 thermostats.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Thanks for posting. Sweet work. :beer:

So much want.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Looking forward to watching this swap. I wanna do the same but with a NV4500. Looks good so far. Are you running the truck intake/accessories/oilpan? Do you have a body lift?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts