Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i spent a long time searching, and couldn't find exactly what i needed. i have a 47 willys with a 289, t-90 tranny, and dana 18 tcase. i want to ditch the t-90 for a ford t-18. i will buy the novak kit to mate the ford t-18 to the dana 18 tcase. so now i need to go junkyard hunting for the t-18, bellhousing, and whatever else i need to swap it onto my 289. my question is, are all ford t-18s the same, and if not, which models and year trucks had the right t-18 & bellhousing to bolt up to my 289?

i guess it would also be helpful to add that i'm hoping to be able to drive the jeep on the freeway, which is why i figured i'd go with the t-18 (searching said better shifting behavior). however, if the np435 is the most common thing to find in a junkyard, i could go that route too cuz novak sells the 435 to dana 18 kit as well. also in this case, what model and years had them? i need to make sure i pull EVERY part for the swap.

thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The T-18 and has a seperate bellhousing, so all you'd have to do is nab the tranny and then get a bellhousing to go from a 289/302/300/351 to a manual tranny. Before '82 (or right around there) ford used a mechanical clutch, after that there's a slave cylinder mount cast into the bellhousing. Besides that, which t-18 you get is a preference. the ford ones all have the same gear ratios and will bolt up to your setup, but before '78 reverse was over and forward, after '78 it's over and back. The 435 and 18 use the same bellhousing and adaptors, so whichever you get doesn't really matter.

From personal experience the 18 and 435 shift the same in 2-3-4, but the 435 likes to grind if you try to speed shift from 1-2 in high range. I prefer the 435 since it has a lower low than the 18 and is a beefier design. Right now i'm running an 18 until i can find a 435 at the local pick and pull.

Justin

·
Registered
98 Posts
The T18 and np435 use the same bellhousing for the sb ford 289 a T176 bellhousing will fit it also and fits both trannys.Just happens I have one Ill sell you ,let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. i plan on finding what i need locally so i don't have to deal with shipping costs. thank you for the offer though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts