Premium Member
3,919 Posts
backup light switch:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
RCKRATZ said:
backup light switch:confused:
I think the reverse switch is allready there in the back.
Put it in reverse and use a meter on ohms if there is zero resiantance the switch you have is reverse.
My T-18 does not have that hole.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
mine has the two pole on the back like in your picture , and on the top where you have the hole. Mine has a single pole hook up in that location what its for I have no clue at this time neither are hooked up on mine. that and I didnt see it while still in the FSJ that mine came out of if need be I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow and get ahold of the buddy who I got the tranny from maybe he can tell me what was hooked to it

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
two pole is a switch power in power out
one pole is proably a switch to ground " the transmission case"

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The Flem said:
neutral safety switch?
On a manual transmission? I can see a clutch mounted switch with a manual, but no neutral switch. I've never owned a vehicle with a manual tranny which required the tranny to be in neutral to start. My newest is a '97 which would definitely be newer than that T18.

·
Registered
811 Posts
the vent button is on teh bottom left between the 2 bolts .

My FSJ T18 doenst have that either, puzzling.

do you know what the original application of that tranny was?
it looks like a Jeep version from looking at the driverside hole spacing.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
CSP said:

On a manual transmission? I can see a clutch mounted switch with a manual, but no neutral switch. I've never owned a vehicle with a manual tranny which required the tranny to be in neutral to start. My newest is a '97 which would definitely be newer than that T18.
Neutral safety switches do show up on manuals sometimes.
Most bigrig trannies have a threaded bung for one, but they are not used very often.
It is better to start the engine with the tranny in neutral, and the clutch pedal released, as there is less wear on the clutch T/O bearing, or so the theory goes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
561 Posts
The hole is used on vehicles (that are required for smog purposes) to mount a transmission switch that causes a switch on the intake manifold to only provide vacuum to the distributor when the transmission is in 4th gear. 1960's technology!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ill bet thats it, 4rth gear signal.

My MGB had that, you could be sitting still idlking at red light, with clutch in put in 4rth gear and engine woudl speed up strange...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scouter, you win. I went and checked it, the only time the shift rod is not under the hole is in 4th gear. The two pole switch fits also. I will get one to plug the hole. Would never have guessed that was what it was for.

Thanks!!!!!!,
James

Does anyone have any idea on the year or what it came out of?
They said it was in a CJ. Input shaft length is 7.375"

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
With that input shaft lenght it sounds like a '72-75 CJ version. Better check the revolutions of the input/output to be sure it has the 6.32 first gear.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's got the 6.32 first gear. But you did get me paranoid and I checked again. Going to need it to turn 15/38.5-16 boggers.
(new size)

Now I need to decide to go with a rebuilt 304, 360 or a new sbc 350 crate motor.:confused:

Going in a extended ( aprox 100") CJ5 with a 14 bolt and dana 60 with 4.56 gears.

James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts