Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know Calmini butt rapes u on customer service but their gears claim they do 32's on the highway just fine. They have the 5.14 set. TT has the 4.9 kit and I'm interested in that too since they have great service but I donno. Which kit is more complete or a better bargain? Also I'd get free shipping with Calmini but that doesnt matter if your not gonna get your gears for how ever many friggen months when u need em now eh? Thanks -David-

Edit: Btw I do mostly mud, not many rocks round here + I like mud better.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Reverse in ANY t-case gear set is VERY VERY slow in low range.

You might want to do the 512 r/p changes instead. It'll get your power band up high so you can spin the tires in the mud.

If you like to climb ANYTHING, the t-case gear sets are GREAT!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TX_Zuki said:
Have you thought about the 6.4 to 1's from TT. Brent will treat you right.
Yea I've thought about em but their quite spendy. Mind you I'm 17 and on a high school budget :( . + arent those a little low for mud?
Nowhere said:
Reverse in ANY t-case gear set is VERY VERY slow in low range.

You might want to do the 512 r/p changes instead. It'll get your power band up high so you can spin the tires in the mud.

If you like to climb ANYTHING, the t-case gear sets are GREAT!
I thought it was a bad idea to do only r/p and not tcase. Someone said it was extremely hard on the clutch. So if I was to do that, u say I'll be able to spin the tires in the mud which is a + but what about the street? How much will I feel it with acceleration/top speed? Where do u reccomend going for r/p so I can look at some prices? Thanks -David-

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know if what he said was true...but going t-case withough R&P is hard because all that torque coming from the t-case then has nowhere easy to go *easily*....then you end up ripping t-case mounts and that sort of jazz...not a great way to make a trouble-free drivetrain.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have the Mega-Mount Tcase Mount from RRO so I'd be less likly to rip out the mount up there. Another factor to consider is that I need to get into my tcase soon and rebuild it or somethin cus its drippin oil slowly but surely for some reason, possibly bad seals or something. But like I said I'd have it out anyway... Just somethin to throw in there along with the new mount. -David-

·
Registered
244 Posts
my $.02
Being the one who started the whole mess w/calmini and getting to the end result with the 5.14 gears--i ask--was it worth it. In hindsight--for the money these gears are awesome--I am very happy with their performance. For the mud--heck they may be a little low in low range---maybe a little high in high range--(i run 33's w/4.11 toy axles) and it still feels a bit gutless--but thats what I expected.

I am mostly in the rocks, and the gears do quite well there--in the mud--i almost would think you simply need more engine/power first before gears.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i would pay more $$ to get good customer service and have the peice of mind that the gears will show up before the end of the century. brent is the man!

if you like to be called the f-word plenty and don't care how long it takes to get the gears then you may want ask steve to be added to his waiting list.... :barf: :barf:

another option would be to buy a used set of calmini or other vendors gears off of izook or pirate classifides and you shouldn't have to wait so long. :cool2:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok... Read the article and it would make sence just like Brent said... do the R/P first then go with tcase down the road after u got what you want on the street for everyday driving. Well how to I know what gears are good on the street for r/p? Can someone tell me what worked good for them? I could get f/r 3rd members with one locker and 4.57 r/p for $550. This a good deal? I'm thinking it is. Anyway, hit me back with what you think. Is 4.57 too low? Thanks -David-

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would just go with 5.12's. When I had 5.12 and 4.16 tcase I could easily drive down the hwy 55-60mph pulling about 3500rpm

·
Registered
244 Posts
do you have toy axle's--if not are you planning on it---keep in mind they are 4.11:1 stock--usually. If you are plannin on them, dont waste your money on the gears--save it for the swap which i highly recommend. if not and you are determined to keep em---i'd say go w/kicker 5.13's--

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
budgetsami said:
do you have toy axle's--if not are you planning on it---keep in mind they are 4.11:1 stock--usually. If you are plannin on them, dont waste your money on the gears--save it for the swap which i highly recommend. if not and you are determined to keep em---i'd say go w/kicker 5.13's--
No I have stock axles and I think I plan on staying that way. So do you think the 4.57's are too low or what? -David-

·
Registered
244 Posts
i would say go 4.57 or lower. the reason you may go 5.13's is it might be cheaper due to the trackers have em and with a short search im sure ya could find more on it.

Me personally, I ran 4.56's on 31's and wanted more umph, as im sure you will---then i came across a deal on axles i couldnt pass---so the 4.11's went in then the 5.14 gears. my results are my speedo is 5mph slow--which is damn close to stock.

if it were me---id look further into the 5.13r/p from a tracker

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok... just remembered, I gotta be in the tcase soon... its leaking from some spot or another an drippin, not at a fast rate, but its drippin. To kill 2 birds with one stone I'm just gonna do tcase gears. I like the RR 4.16 case with 2low and H shift pattern cus its already put together, no core, and it is completely rebuilt from the ground up. What do u think of it? -David-

ps sorry for all the changes... I'm sure everyone can relate when I say I just wanna do it right lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts
budgetsami said:
i would say go 4.57 or lower. the reason you may go 5.13's is it might be cheaper due to the trackers have em and with a short search im sure ya could find more on it.

Me personally, I ran 4.56's on 31's and wanted more umph, as im sure you will---then i came across a deal on axles i couldnt pass---so the 4.11's went in then the 5.14 gears. my results are my speedo is 5mph slow--which is damn close to stock.

if it were me---id look further into the 5.13r/p from a tracker
I personally have 31" tires (31/13.5 swamper SX) and no R/P changes.
I have a high uumph engine with a VERY wide RPM range (from about 800 to 8000). Reverse is not too bad for me as I can spin the engine waay fast to compensate for the llllooooowwww reverse speed. Forward, I'm usually in 3rd or 5th gear on the trails in low range.

I love mud, I don't really """""""""" bog """""""" though, I'm a crawler, take it sloooooow.

The transfer case gearsets are AWESOME if you have any intentions of crawling on anything. If you have any intentions on going to a larger tire size in the future, a t-case set (4.16) would suite you well in my opinion.

With my 31" tires being soooo dam huge (you guys with the 38+ tires, don laf at me :D) I am wanting more rpm for cruising. I think the calmini 5.x t-case setup would suite ME better than a 4.16 t-case for MY setup.

My final opinion. The ring and pinion setup would be best in my opinion for mudding, the gears will compensate nicely for the mud allowing the engine to stay in the power band. You'd want to over gear specifically for bogging, you need more USEABLE power.

The t-case works very very very very well and has its plusses. You'd need reinforced mounts for the transfer case if you were to go that route (more $$). If you were to buy a t-case reduction set, you would probably change your (only bogging, no crawling) mind. Going slow and conquering obstacles is fun in my opinion.

·
Dodge Ram Newbie
415 Posts
Budget Sami HAs the same setup as I plan to run. You say you are 5mph off....Does your speedo run slower or faster? Is the way to correct the speedo by changing the gear size that turns the speedo cable within the T-case? I have gears and plan to regear a T-case to 5.14's but wondered if I should source this gear first???? Does anyone know the answer???? :confused:

·
Dodge Ram Newbie
415 Posts
Budget Sami has the same setup as I plan to run. You say you are 5mph off....Does your speedo run slower or faster? Is the way to correct the speedo by changing the gear size that turns the speedo cable within the T-case? I have gears and plan to regear a T-case to 5.14's but wondered if I should source this gear first???? Does anyone know the answer???? :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts