Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not sure, but maybe I'm due for an Atlas. :(

That's a 4.7 gearset (well, was... now it's about 15:1 with a lot of slip) inside a busted case.

For those wondering how strong is strong... the AP mainshaft (it's in some of the earlier pics in the same directory) survived.

I was thinking early on that this wasn't a torque-related break... but it appears that it might be after all. :(

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How did you trail fix that, or did you just keep going the best you could?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Looks like somebody was gettin' it!:D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
DBrown2 said:
How did you trail fix that, or did you just keep going the best you could?

looks like he wasted the low range gears, throw it back in hi range and it'll still work ;)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
did you hit that on something?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Scott, now having broken a toy case (was it 21 or 23 spline ?)
Would you still do toy cases or would you do a D300 or just go right for the atlas right off the bat ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
more importantly........WHAT brand of gears were those?? AA or the total spline gears Marlin sells??

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Not sure, but maybe I'm due for an Atlas.
Maybe it's time. I suppose that new Marlin case wouldn't do you any good, since you didn't snap an output shaft... looks more or less like you just twisted everything so hard the case couldn't hold the gears together, no?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I'd say the case held up pretty well considering you've been beating on it in comps and trails with 44's for how long now, a couple years? It's just another testiment to how tough toy stuff really is.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're early Marlin gears... from back around when the 4.0's had just come out, long long ago.

I was contemplating with some local friends on how much of a pounding those gears have taken.

Four broken mainshafts (two of them chromo)
One broken 60 front
Two shelled 9" rears
Three broken 44 fronts
Two or three broken driveshaft yokes
Several broken U-joints
It was in my V8 truck for two-plus years behind my NV4500
It went to Top Truck Challenge
It saw two (partial) years of competition in the current ride

I think it had a good life.

And I've already ordered another gearset from Marlin.

I still haven't determined if my slip-yoke-not-slipping theory holds water, or if it's an actual torque-only break. I can't wrap my mind around gears blowing out, taking the bottom off the case. So I'm stuck (mentally) on that it's gotta be a combo break.

As for what to use to fix it ahead-of-time... I dunno that a D300 would do it, without all the upgrades... and by then, with an adapter, you're nearly at the Atlas pricetag anyway.

·
Registered
792 Posts
So scott can you update us on the engine combo that your using now (for those of us who dont live on the board) I thought you still had the 5.0/NV4500/dual toy cases.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
3vze said:
So scott can you update us on the engine combo that your using now (for those of us who dont live on the board) I thought you still had the 5.0/NV4500/dual toy cases.
He never had that motor in this truck, you are way behind!:flipoff2: pretty sure he has a 2.0L saturn motor

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This truck runs a 1.9L Saturn aluminum engine.
That is mated to a Toy G52.
First box is a 2.28 one.
MC07 into 4.7 box.
4.10 in the axles; 44" TSL's.

Previous truck had a 5.0/NV4500/4.7 single case. Never had a dual case with a V8 (and don't ever intend to).

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
This truck runs a 1.9L Saturn aluminum engine.
That is mated to a Toy G52.
First box is a 2.28 one.
MC07 into 4.7 box.
4.10 in the axles; 44" TSL's.

Previous truck had a 5.0/NV4500/4.7 single case. Never had a dual case with a V8 (and don't ever intend to).
yeah, i got the same gearing, 4.10 axles, but im running a 4.7 case and an auto and thats it.

I am worried this will happen to me!! The axles aren't geared deep enough maybe and it is loading the output shaft heaps!?

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Four broken mainshafts (two of them chromo)
One broken 60 front
Two shelled 9" rears
Three broken 44 fronts
Two or three broken driveshaft yokes
Several broken U-joints
It was in my V8 truck for two-plus years behind my NV4500
It went to Top Truck Challenge
It saw two (partial) years of competition in the current ride

I think it had a good life.

You think!!!! Good job Scott!!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
My bet is that a tooth finally broke off, and wedged between the gear and the housing in order to knock that huge chunk out of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts