Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal

I just installed a twin case set up in my 85 runner, I picked it up used so my foregone conclusion is that I kind of got screwed, but I think I can fix it with some help. The transmission is a G52 with an 84 case right behind it and an 85 case behind the adapter. when I'm bookin along in fourth or fifth gear and the throttle is just tipped in, it makes a pretty nasty grinding sound. it's a very specific situation, for instance just coming down a slight hill when I only need a little pressure on the gas, that's when it makes it, not when I'm accelarating or just cruising no gas. This very annoying. Sooo, I do have the old W56 tranny with a worn out 2nd gear synchro and a perfectly functioning, although high mileage stock t-case right behind it. Through my powers of deduction I think I've isolated the sound to the front most case, as when I move/pressure/wiggle the lever I can get the grinding to change pitches, and since I still have a fatty hole in the floor, my ear tells me that's the source of the noise. Question, will the t-case off my 56 bolt up to the 52, and if so, are the mods I have to do to it reasonable to do in my back yard shop (I have welder access) with Newbie experience? Thank you for your time

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! that's not a bad suggestion, but I wasn't the one who put the assy together, and I managed to spill a tablespoon of it out when I was changing the reverse light/4x4 light sensor over from my old tranny so i know it has some, and I don't think it would have gone 3 hours at highway speed w/out oil, so thankfully I don't think that's it,

the thing is that it looks like the shifter from the 52 shares a plate with the forward most t-case, whereas the 56 has separate plates that the shifters stick out of. Does that make sense? I don't know, I know I have to weld something on the front case, I can look that up on the marlin site I'm not too worried, it sounds like I just need to put a wrench on it and figure it out. Could I have hurt it with a driveshaft that came back too long? and the force of it bottoming out on the slip yoke? (I took off the d-shaft after that) I don't think so but hey, does anybody even know specifically what that sound is that I mentioned in the original post?

·
Premium Member
11,328 Posts
you had your rear driveline shortened 6 1/2inches to do this, without a CV joint in teh rear shaft you will now have that resonace/vibration when you are in the situation's you explained...

it's the driveline i'll bet you... get a CV rear shaft and i'll bet it's gone...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a great suggestion, I never would have thought of that, but would that explain why I can change the pitch pushing on the front lever? cause if it does, well awesome. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.