Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm tryin to put on my new fds from high angle today so i can go wheelin tommorrow. But i gotta go to a wedding tonight. I can't get the damn nut off that holds the t'case flange on. I know you gotta pry that little indention out-I did. At least i think i got it all. What am i doin wrong? ami overlooking something? help!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0">
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Originally posted by ryanwhit:
<STRONG>OK, I'm tryin to put on my new fds from high angle today so i can go wheelin tommorrow. But i gotta go to a wedding tonight. I can't get the damn nut off that holds the t'case flange on. I know you gotta pry that little indention out-I did. At least i think i got it all. What am i doin wrong? ami overlooking something? help!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
I use a length of steel flat bar with two holes drilled near the edge to match the flange holes (see picture of the SST in tha back of the FSM). Bolt it on then jam it against the frame and use a long breaker bar and 30mm socket (1/2" drive minimum) and that nut will come right off. I used a 4' pipe on the end of my 3/4" drive bar after a pair if impact guns did nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Originally posted by ryanwhit:
<STRONG>OK, I'm tryin to put on my new fds from high angle today so i can go wheelin tommorrow. But i gotta go to a wedding tonight. I can't get the damn nut off that holds the t'case flange on. I know you gotta pry that little indention out-I did. At least i think i got it all. What am i doin wrong? ami overlooking something? help!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
I had a hell of a time getting my rear one off. I soaked it for days used an impact wrench, breaker bar and anything else I could think of. After about a week of messing with it I took the Tcase into a shop and they hit it with their impact wrench and it came right off. They had one of those big ass impacts that could twist your arm off. They didn't charge me anything to do it I just wish I would have taken it in sooner.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Originally posted by Skulls138:
<STRONG>I had a hell of a time getting my rear one off. I soaked it for days used an impact wrench, breaker bar and anything else I could think of. After about a week of messing with it I took the Tcase into a shop and they hit it with their impact wrench and it came right off. They had one of those big ass impacts that could twist your arm off. They didn't charge me anything to do it I just wish I would have taken it in sooner.</STRONG>
I just worry what a big impact gun is doing to the internal gears. I like locking the flange so it can't turn then good old leverage will pop the nut loose with no stress on the internal components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Originally posted by 4CrawlR:
<STRONG>I just worry what a big impact gun is doing to the internal gears. I like locking the flange so it can't turn then good old leverage will pop the nut loose with no stress on the internal components.</STRONG>
Yeah I did lock the flange and still couldn't get it off no matter what I did. When I took it to the shop he locked the flange and then hit it with the impact wrench. In a matter of seconds it was off after it kicked my ass for a week and broke 2 of my wrenches.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Originally posted by Skulls138:
<STRONG>Yeah I did lock the flange and still couldn't get it off no matter what I did. When I took it to the shop he locked the flange and then hit it with the impact wrench. In a matter of seconds it was off after it kicked my ass for a week and broke 2 of my wrenches.</STRONG>
I tried two different impacts and neither would budge mine. Put a 4' pipe on a 3/4" bar and it came off on the first pull. I've seen folks take them off with just the impact alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
If it's never been off before, it probably has green locktite on it, or their equivalent. And if you don't know, before you blow your wad, different colors mean different strengths. Penetrating oil will not help. A little heat will, note little, but don't bake your seal unless you plan on replacing it. And once you get it moving, keep it moving till it's free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Ingersoll rand model#2131. Came right off, I guess I was lucky for a change!!!!!!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
tom
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Originally posted by 4CrawlR:
<STRONG>I tried two different impacts and neither would budge mine. Put a 4' pipe on a 3/4" bar and it came off on the first pull. I've seen folks take them off with just the impact alone.</STRONG>
Mine was put on by Marlin when he installed my dual cases. I think he has a special impact wrench for putting those flanges on <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got it--I jammed my breaker bar up against the pass. side frame rail and put it in 4-low 1st gear, a little gas, popped it right off <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> . yeah, i know it was risky, so you don't have to tell me <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> When i tried to put on my new t-case flange, it would'nt fit. A 27 spline flange never did fit on a 30 spline shaft <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0"> Jess sent the wrong one, so i'll have to get on the phone with him in the morning. I'm not worried about it though, I've heard all the great customer service stories. I know he'll make it right. <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Yeah, I have one of those BIG impacts and it makes it easier to remove those damn things. ANYWAY have ya wheeled it yet? We want pics! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Originally posted by ryanwhit:
<STRONG>I finally got it--I jammed my breaker bar up against the pass. side frame rail and put it in 4-low 1st gear, a little gas, popped it right off <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> . yeah, i know it was risky, so you don't have to tell me <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> When i tried to put on my new t-case flange, it would'nt fit. A 27 spline flange never did fit on a 30 spline shaft <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0"> Jess sent the wrong one, so i'll have to get on the phone with him in the morning. I'm not worried about it though, I've heard all the great customer service stories. I know he'll make it right. <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Why not just re-drill your old flange?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not just re-drill your old flange?

That would be too easy <IMG SRC="smilies/tongue.gif" border="0">
actually, broke my drill drilling the holes in the frame. Have'nt got a new one yet
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top