Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...i'm a toy kinda guy and I bought a Jeep for a DD and I got a problem...(imagine that?) I have a very minor driveline vibe, so I get my ass under my truck and start checking things out....I took a medium sized pry bar and checked for play in all the u-joints and nothing....but I grabbed the u-joint at the t-case and the shaft on the t-case side had noticeable but not excessive play. I could see a slight gap inbetween the shaft and the seal (part 2 to this problem) the seal is also leaking....but really not a lot, just enough to get the tub wet from being flung from the driveshaft turning.

1. Is that "play" in the rear output shaft typical?? If not what do I need to replace...

2. How easy/hard is it to replace the seal that is leaking?

Veichle is a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 dr 4.0/auto/ NP241?? or the NP231?? I get the #'s mixed up...

Any ideas would be appreciated and rude comments always welcome....Thanks, Dave:D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GPN Family said:
Just replace the out put shaft with a new HD SYE and a new drive line you won't be sorry. Is the XJ lifted at all?

Nope...I drive 120+ miles a day and I don't plan on lifting it to go off road......it's my driver....:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you don't plan on lifting it there's no need for a SYE and a DS(probably wouldn't need one anyway on an XJ; the rear shafts are pretty long) It's proably a slip yoke so the in and out movement would be normal as long as it's not side to side or up and down. If you bought it used from someone who had a lift on it originally check that the angles are correct (Parallel yokes if it's a standart 2 joint shaft which I'm pretty sure it is.)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ALWJ said:
If you don't plan on lifting it there's no need for a SYE and a DS(probably wouldn't need one anyway on an XJ; the rear shafts are pretty long) It's proably a slip yoke so the in and out movement would be normal as long as it's not side to side or up and down. If you bought it used from someone who had a lift on it originally check that the angles are correct (Parallel yokes if it's a standart 2 joint shaft which I'm pretty sure it is.)
I don't think it was ever lifted but the slip yoke does have movement up and down....I think that is were my vibe is coming from....:confused:

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
suspect said:

I don't think it was ever lifted but the slip yoke does have movement up and down....I think that is were my vibe is coming from....:confused:
I'd just replace it, they are prone to leaking. They are all over the for sale forums like a rash, hell in a month I'll be going SYE and I'll give you my slip yoke for free if you pay shipping.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TexasBlakeWFO said:

I'd just replace it, they are prone to leaking. They are all over the for sale forums like a rash, hell in a month I'll be going SYE and I'll give you my slip yoke for free if you pay shipping.
Let me know.....:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts