Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
t case mounts, tech tid bit

i just wanted to show some pics and explain potential problems with t case mount differences. what i found is there are at least three different t case mounts, for manual trans of course, i have to assume 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen trucks. but there is the possibility, it could be 79-80 break to 81-88 and 89 up. anyone that knows for sure the info would be helpful.
anyway what i found is this, the 79-80 style has the big center lug thing, offset from center when compared to the other two mounts. this will not allow it to mount up on a later style cross member and/or aftermarket crossmembers. the 2nd and 3rd gen seem to mount up pretty much the same. i also found that the 3rd gen mount is wider front to back with more rubber, so probably better support, and of course should be most sought after. anyway here are a couple pics of the mounts and also of my new budbuilt and duals.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pic of my budbuilt cross, this is to mount duals into a 79 with a w56 trans, bud did a super trick job, especially for a one off application.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I do see the difference.One has ears on one side with a little more rubber. This one might be a better mount. But from the way I'm looking at it they look like they will both work. Looks like the big center lug is still centered with the 4 bolt holes that bolt to the transfer case. One just has the ears on one side. Maybe I am looking at it wrong,if so please explain

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the difference is really not that much, but it is enought to keep it from mounting up right, its like 1/4" off or so.
the pics are hard to see the difference i guess but it is there

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think I had one of those offset ones because I had to grind the SOB to make it fit. I tried to get a new one from the local parts stores because I thought mine was squashed but they kept coming up with the wrong parts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The mount will bolt in, but it will pull on the rubber in a lateral motion, in the front to rear axis. It will eventually pull the rubber away from the plates.
Also, the large round bolt head will rub in the xmember/skidplate hole.
IIRC, 87 was when they widened the mount. This later mount is the one you should get as a replacement.

·
Registered
575 Posts
There are 4 different tcase mounts for 1st & 2nd gen P/U & 1st gen 4-runners.

79-83 RN37, 38, 47, 48 PN 12371-38020 *I would guess this is the one with the offset bolt pattern to large center bolt.

84-86 RN6# PN 12371-35020

87-8903 RN6# PN 12371-35050 *I think this is the wide mount

84-88 RN5#, 7# PN 12371-34030

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Cracker said:

84-86 RN6# PN 12371-35020

87-8903 RN6# PN 12371-35050 *I think this is the wide mount

84-88 RN5#, 7# PN 12371-34030
Are these 3 interchangeable?

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
what is are the bolt sizes for the mount to the tcase i cant find it anyware

Good job noobie you obviously searched to have dug up a thread this fawking old. :laughing:

The bolts that hold the mount to the t case are M12x1.25 about 15mm long.

·
Registered
107 Posts
edit to this post. mount to t-case bolt size is an M10x1.25...just found this out the other day. and the ones you find at most hardware stores will have a 17mm head instead of a 14mm like the stock bolts.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
edit to this post. mount to t-case bolt size is an M10x1.25...just found this out the other day. and the ones you find at most hardware stores will have a 17mm head instead of a 14mm like the stock bolts.
you forgot length

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
you forgot length

So did God when he designed my peeter... :laughing:

Sucks when you find an old post where you gave out bad info later... Fawking 'tarded me cornfusing M12 and M10... :homer:

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Bump for an old thread.

Im putting in my skid for my duals and was wondering if anyone remembered the thread and size of the bolts that hold the t-case mount to the crossmember? Im going to grab some flushmount allens from Fastenal, and would like to have those numbers for em.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts