Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright a little back ground I have 94 4runner with the 3.slow innit' which is getting mighty tired at this point 238k without one major repair! Compression one #3 is at 13lbs. which means a rebuild (not) I am a huge fan of the dependibility of toyotas however the power out put i am not. So i have decided to swap a 350 into it, I have already picked up a fair amount of stuff however i still have quite a ways togo. but down to the question! I have a crate 350 sitting on the stand and a nv4500 in a box, the adaptors i need will be ordered once i cross this bridge, urm... there is a 23 spline t-case option and a 21 spline t-case option. I am going to assume that i cant use a forward shifting t-case with the adapter (but i havent called to ask), what if any would there be difference wise between the 21-23 spline, i know that the 23 came from the turbo 22re however is it that much stronger,

or should i buy a 21 spline (and what would be the best year to use) and swap the shaft

or should i keep it simple and go 21 spline,

figure you guys have a fair amount of time wrenching on this schtuff, and might know alot more than i do. Also as a side note the truck will primairly be a daily driver, (however it will flat tow my sami!) with mild to light 4 wheeling, (but that doesnt for-shadow the fact that i want it to be very cable weather i use it that way or not.)

any and all flaming is welcomed, along with any help ;)

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The 23 spline setup is recommended for dual cases in the rear case due to the torque associated from the output of the first case. But in your case (no pun intended), the added torque of such a motor and tranny combo should warrant at least the 23 spline setup....just as a single case.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ditto, with that much hp go with the 23 spline. You can pick up a 21 spline tcase cheap and order a 23 spline input from marlin and it drops right in.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Once you buy the addapter your stuck with it. I would put the 23 spline in mow and be good for the future if you decide to wheel it hard. $180 from Marlin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts