Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy is building up a 93 yj I6. It seems top me the only thing he thinks he can do is put in the tera low 4-1 kit, but i know there has to be some other cheaper options to get him lower. what are some of you other guys running. thanks

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
I'm sure you'll hear opinions to the contrary, but IMO the Tera
gear set for the NP231 BLOWS
A good friend had it installed in his and shattered the gears the
second trip out. It wasn't even "hardcore wheelin", just moderate
stuff. The parts were covered by the warranty, but the next trip
they blew up again and this time they took out the case too.
Yup, cracked the case in half. :eek: Needles to say, NOT GOOD.
He gave up in digust and bought an Atlass II. He's had it for
1 1/2 years with no problems.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Do not go TeraLow....... take it from me personally. I got one and the price of everything with it including new chain, NP231 rebuild kit, 2Lo kit, SYE, and the gears have come VERY close if not exceeding a cost of an Atlas 3.8. And you still have to put it together. :eek:

I have yet to install it though, maybe I'll cheer up some once I start wheeling again.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I agree with previous post.. if your thinking about modifyin the np231 with tera low and 2lo your damn close to the cost of the ATlas...

Spend the extra $ for something you wont have to worry about exploding into pieces!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
As a shop that sells both I agree with the above comments. Huh Blake;) :flipoff2:

As far as cheaper if you have access to a really bitchin' shop you could always whittle a Klune copy case and use a planetary from a blowed up/Tera'ed 231.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I went the four speed tranny route first. With the granny first it got me a long ways with the stock gearing. But when it came time to fix the 231, money wise, the Atlas was the way to go.
The tranny can be done pretty cheaply. I, not knowing better, and not having a lot of resources like this board, bought a complete kit from Hicks 4x4 with a T98 four speed. It cost me $1500. It came with rebuilt tranny, bellhousing, heavy duty clutch, slave cylinder, release arm and t-case adapter. It is a lot shorter than the original five speed and got me a lot of needed driveshaft space. If I had known better, I would have picked up an AMC T176 bellhousing and t-case adapter from a wrecker, a tranny from a PNP, and bought a new clutch. It would have been a lot cheaper, as it is all available in factory pieces. You will need to have an engine position sensor bung mounted to the bellhousing, but that is easily done by a machine shop.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Ooooh, i'm gonna get F'ed coming into this thread, but i've got the Teralow, and i've had NP as yet. Now, let me back up slightly, The 91 i bought came with it all put together, WITH the 2 LO option installed. So i didn't have that cost, true. But mechanically, i've had no problems. And it's been wheeled all over So Cal (Hammers, Rubicon, etc) by its previous owner, and through several places in So Cal and in the UK by me. Still NP yet. I do agree however, that IF i was building up a new rig, and the cost WAS close between the Atlas, and the Tera, i'd go Atlas. Gear driven instead of chain, and a case you can conduct nuclear bomb testing inside :D !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts