Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i have been searching and havn't come up w/ ne thing that im quite looking for... my dilemma is....

should i re-gear the axles of my zuk (toyota axles) w/ the 5.70whatever or go for a t-case crawler upgrade??? looking at the rocky-road 4.16 gearset (says it drops low range 83%)

currently i am running 33" bias ply tsl's, and i think i will only go up to 35's maybe 36's (sure, i say that now)... so what do u guys think is the better route (doing both is no way $ feasable at this time)

also, this is a towed trail rig, so i won't need to worry about 2wd or road performance...

TIA

·
Registered
29 Posts
jeepman784 said:
yes, i have been searching and havn't come up w/ ne thing that im quite looking for... my dilemma is....

should i re-gear the axles of my zuk (toyota axles) w/ the 5.70whatever or go for a t-case crawler upgrade??? looking at the rocky-road 4.16 gearset (says it drops low range 83%)

currently i am running 33" bias ply tsl's, and i think i will only go up to 35's maybe 36's (sure, i say that now)... so what do u guys think is the better route (doing both is no way $ feasable at this time)

also, this is a towed trail rig, so i won't need to worry about 2wd or road performance...

TIA
Since you are towing it, I'd say go with the T-Case gears, you might want to check with Petroworks on the T-Case gears, I think they have the 4.89 Tcase gears for about $495

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
y would u say t-case since im towing?? because i can save some 'stress' by putting it in N? or is there a different reason?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
so your gearing would be as follows

stock
3.62 x 2.3 x 4.38 = 36:1 crawl 34:1 on 4.10's

diff gears
3.62 x 2.3 x 5.71 = 48:1

t-case gears
3.62 x 4.16 x 4.38 = 66:1 62:1 on 4.10's

t-case & diffs
3.62 x 4.16 x 5.71 = 86:1

*edit* just noticed you had 4.38's

now the other thing to remember is the 4.16 gear set gives you a slight reduction in high range also, effectivly giving you about a 4.56 diff ratio in high range. with stock 4:38's

the 4:16 kit's are hard to beat for they're price and dependability.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool...

looks like i will probaly be going with the 4.16 t-case setup for 399 from rocky-road.. that seems like a good price,

just put 4.7 gears in a buddy's 4runner w/ him and he is runnin 37 swampers and 5.13s i think... so i think that with 33's and 4.16 id be doing well until i could regear the axles as well!!

than, ill be ALL set... :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
DSI said:
so your gearing would be as follows

stock
3.62 x 2.3 x 4.38 = 36:1 crawl 34:1 on 4.10's

diff gears
3.62 x 2.3 x 5.71 = 48:1

t-case gears
3.62 x 4.16 x 4.38 = 66:1 62:1 on 4.10's

t-case & diffs
3.62 x 4.16 x 5.71 = 86:1

*edit* just noticed you had 4.38's

now the other thing to remember is the 4.16 gear set gives you a slight reduction in high range also, effectivly giving you about a 4.56 diff ratio in high range. with stock 4:38's

the 4:16 kit's are hard to beat for they're price and dependability.
[/QUOT

Yea, what DSI said:D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
jeepman784 said:
cool...

looks like i will probaly be going with the 4.16 t-case setup for 399 from rocky-road.. that seems like a good price,

just put 4.7 gears in a buddy's 4runner w/ him and he is runnin 37 swampers and 5.13s i think... so i think that with 33's and 4.16 id be doing well until i could regear the axles as well!!

than, ill be ALL set... :cool:

i took the "rental zuk" to the con last fall with a 4.16 case and 5.29 toy diff's on 33in bogg's and it worked great for me, it wasn't near as low as i am used to :D but worked fine overall :D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
moto261 said:
DSI you have way to much time on your hands why dont you take up horse ridding or some thing LOL :flipoff2:

:massey:

why ride a horse, i can ride u're... oh nevermind i won't say it :flipoff2:

·
Registered
238 Posts
jeepman784 said:
cool...

I live right buy you and just sold my 4:1 t-case :eek: Judging by the look of you new rig it looks like you'll be doing alot of crawling, I'd go 6:1 or at the minimum, a grsII from Petroworks. especially if you want to go 35's.

Even just playing on the slabs at the "Mounds" my 4:1 wasn't low enough and my clutch would burn.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Yip, I'd say your pretty much retarded if you don't pony up the extra $100 for the GRSII gear set..... 4.16 set is nice and all......if your running 33" tires:flipoff2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks like the rocky-road 4.16 gearset is the best deal out there for 399. does this sound like a decent price to you guys??? or is there a better route i could go? it's trail only so i decided to pass on the shims and new bearings and what not.... it's 100 more for all that...

thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Uhhh.......

Get the GRS II gears, you will be ALOT happier in the long run with those. The 4:16's wont keep you happy long, unless you want to run mud mostly, then you need the tire spin.

Another reason is that Toy pinions do break more the higher the ratio you go. Stick with a lower R/P and get the T-case gears for reliability. :D

You could get the 4:16's and the 6:1's and build two T-cases. A 4:16 case for the mud here in Michgan. Then just swap in the 6:1 case when you go west to run the rocks. :flipoff2:

Michigan Sucks for Rocks :mad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
gear ratio

i agree with dsi right up until he told you that your gears would be around 4.57's. with stock 3.73 gears the tcase gives you the equivalent of 4.18's. with 4.38's the tcase will give you 4.90's
just a thought.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how is that???

w/ the t-case 4.16 and my 4.38's id be at 67:1

w/ only 5.73's and stock t-case 48:1..

for like 600-700 i could do the 4.16 and 5.73's... than id be at 86:1.. that isn't low enough???

what is the grs thing?? i was lookin into that.. can someone shed some light onto that

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Sorry; here look at this link for Petroworks

The 'GRS' designation is kinda used across the board to desctibe different ratio's available to put in the Zuki T-case.

GRS-I = 4.16:1 (RockHopper I)
GRS-II = 4.89:1 (RockHopper II)
GRS-III = 6.1:1 (RockHopper III)

I hope I dont P/O anyone for calling the 6.1:1 gear 'GRS-III' I dont want to start that war again, and the RockHopper name is used by Big Balls Offroad

The 6.1:1 gears are new on the market. the other two sets are old hands, tried and true.

hope that helps a bit with the 'GRS' confusion.

Is 86:1 low enough, IMO, sure if your gonna be running mud most the time, you need the wheelspin, but for rocks, wheelspin breaks axles. You will need lower gears, or you have to slip the clutch alot more and you loose the ability to do finer control movements.
thats how I see it. others may dissagree.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
G.R.S (Gear Reduction System)

I would recomend you just to get 6 to 1
that would bring your crawl ratio to just about right

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
jeepman784 said:
also, this is a towed trail rig, so i won't need to worry about 2wd or road performance.[/B]
You just answered the question right there, forget the axles, stick with stock R+Ps = cheap + strong.

As for gears, T-Case, T-case, T-Case, T-case, T-Case, T-case, T-Case, T-case, T-Case, T-case, I couldn't say it enough. R+P gears are a waste of time and $$ on a trailer queen.

For $500, go GRS 2 gears they'll get you through most
though in my 91 w/efi I had GRS-2 and 33" TSLs, I definitely wanted more gear....... for 85% of the trail the gearing was great, but for the nasty rocks it left me wanting more.
I am now using the Lucky 13/RingeR combo ($450 from SOS- Suzuki Only Supply) to run dual toy t-cases with a 4.7 set for a 10.5 to 1 ratio in double low, I am leaving the stock 4:10s in the toy axles for strength.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts