Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having trouble with the t-case coming out of 4wd. after driving around in 4 hi or low it doesn't want to go back to 2wd. i have to get under the rig with a bfh and pound it back in. it doesnt seem like a gear mesh problem. is there a spring and ball type of retainer to hold the shaft in place? after i get it back in, i can shift back and forth no problem, it only seems to occur after it's been under load :confused:

btw stock tcase, tranny, 78fj40

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
mine started doing the same thing while giving a guy a test drive (to buy tranny and x-case)

he thought the linkage is just out of alignment. After playing with it for a while it will go back to 2 wd

on mine i have to push up and over diagaonnally but it will go

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
When it's time for me to go back into two, I usuially haul ass in reverse for a few yards. Don't know where I picked that one up, but it seems to loosen things up a little;)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Mines the same way, I usually have to put it in reverse and roll a little to get it to disengage.
I used to think I had a problem with my custom built twin stick arrangement, but I think it's more likely a bind put on it from tension on the front driveline or somthing like that.
Anyway the rolling in reverse seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine is the same way, when I first got it, someone suggested rolling backwards and that worked for a while. Now I have to get out and unlock the hubs and start driving, and which point it pops out no problem. I have to bungee the shifter up to the heater though, or it rattles (or it's gear noise). I checked the linkage and everything seems snug, so I guess it's internal. One day I'll pull it apart and rebuild it, probably whenever I get around to a 5 speed swap.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I get the same thing if I drive with the hubs locked on anything other than dirt/mud. Backing up usually does the trick, something in there just binds up..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
the problem is that the shift collar cant disengage when there is any pressure on it from the front driveshaft. the way I do it is either unlock the hubs & drive to dissengage or (the easier more risky way) is drive really slowly 9about 5mph) apply light pressure to the shifter & lighly bump & let off on the gas until it shifts. very similar to shifting a transmission w/o using the clutch. This is common w/ all cruiser transfer cases of this design.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
sixty said:
the way I do it is either unlock the hubs & drive to dissengage or (the easier more risky way) is drive really slowly 9about 5mph) apply light pressure to the shifter & lighly bump & let off on the gas until it shifts. very similar to shifting a transmission w/o using the clutch. This is common w/ all cruiser transfer cases of this design.
i do that all the time...no problems yet

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
the only way ther could really be a problem would be if it was not all the way shited out of 4wd & the front drive shaft came under heavy load for some reason. the shift collar/ front main shaft might damge or shear some teeth. this method could also significanlty increase wear on the collar & main shaft if not done properly. the trick is be GENTLE! :nuke: :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
GET A SLOW ROLL GOING... AND KICK THE SHIT OUTTA THE LEVER! JUST KIDDING AROUND

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
standard proceedure on most $X$'s is put it in reverse and go back about 10FT...it will alway come out after that...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts