Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running dual top loaders and every now and then the rear case will get stuck in between all of the gears and I can't shift. So I pull the clip and the shifter, use a screwdriver to shift the rails , problem gone. I can use the screw driver to shift the rails around, instal the shifter and it will work fine. Then out of nowhere, I'll be going from 2 to 4 and it gets all jammed up again. I've checked the shifter rails and the shifter end for burs and can't find anything. This is getting frustrating, I've already torn it down once and I couldn't find anything wrong internally, I'm getting sick and tierd of having to pull the boot, the clip, the shifter, then use a screwdriver to shift then put it all back together. PLEASE HELP, anyone got some ideas ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had a similar problem with my second duel case setup which consisted of a late 80's top load case in the rear and an 85 case used for the crawl box. I didn't read the instructions this time and forgot that some cases are different. On certain cases you need to cut a 1/2" off of one of the shift rods on the rear case or else it will interfere w/ the front case shift rod.
My rear case was locking up in neutral randomly and i would have to pull the shifter and jam it around until it shifted. Real pain in the butt.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
my forward shift does that. I push, shove, etc, it wont go in or out of gear.. the fun is when i get it into nutral, and it gets stuck there. I think it is just mainly driveline bind, and dont worry about it.

Garrett

·
Registered
398 Posts
mine does the same thing if i put it into 4wd and then try to go back into 2wd. i just put it into gear and get it rolling slightly and slam it as hard as i can and it will go back into 2wd.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
the end of the shifter is very prone to wear and it takes very little wear for it to jump the shift rail slots it may look normal but find another shifter for comparasine and you may find there is more wear than you where thinking.

we have fixed many a toyota cases that other shops said you need a new case.and all that was wrong was a worn shifter .

maybe maybe not but try it out;)

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I had one that hung up like that and it was mostly due to drivtrain wrapup from wheeling, I would just reverse for a few feet and it would shift fine...could be rails also..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My buddy has an early JP Eater set up with his front case being a forward shift version, well the shift rods where the shifter engages them would flex and spread enough where the shifter would get jammed in between and we'd always have to remove the shifter to free it up. We fixed it by building up the end of the shifter with a little weld to make it "fatter" and shaped it real nice with a grinder, no more problems. :D Could that be your problem too?:confused: Hope you find that helpful.:) ......Hans

1 - 8 of 8 Posts