Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1974 CJ with a 304 V8 and the t15 3spd tranny. I'm interested in converting to a t18a because the stock ratios SUCK. I'm very new to Jeeps. What is required for this switch? From my research, it seems that the standard t18 had the same bellhousing as the t15. So will this be a direct bolt-on modification?????

Thanks, Dev

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Not sure on all the T18s but if its out of a jeep and it had a dana 20 hanging off the back then yes its a direct bolt up.

I am not sure about the ones that came in fords..

I belive the only concern would be the input shaft length.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
No it's not a direct bolt in. The T15 has a bolt pattern on the bellhousing that is unique to the T15. The length of the bellhousing is also too long for using with either a Ford T18 or a CJ T18a (w/6.32 low and short input shaft). I did this swap on my '75 and had to get a different bellhousing. It does work with the T150, but not the T15.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: CSP ]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Use the common T176 bell. Direct bolt up.
Ford T18 or Jeep T18a (6.32) need the 6.5" input shaft. Swap it if it is longer, I think PartsMike, Hicks and Novak have the shorter inputs, as well as info on the clutch parts you'll need.
Might as well hook up a D300 for the lower low range instead of the D20, so you'll need an adapter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts