Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I picked up a T18 with 4:1 first from a scout for next to nothing. I have a 2WD Ford T18 with 6.32:1 first. So.....how can I combine them to make a decent CJ T18 with granny? My Thoughts are the Ford case (as the scout has the bellhousing bolts inside). The ford input shorter input shaft, scout main shaft and ford granny gears. I figure I will have to tap the ford case for the adapter. Anyone have some insight on this? Anything not compatible? or is it a try it and see scenario?

Thanks,
Joe

Here are some pics:
The Ford:

The Scout:

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Sounds sort of like how I built one years ago. I used the 2wd ford case, drilled and tapped the backside to accept the 4wd adapter from the scout case.

All you should need from the scout case is the ouput shaft, adapter and the spacer sleeve. You'll have to pull apart everything so get yourself a rebuild kit and replace the needle bearings.

Only other thing to look out for is that there are 3 different sized input bearings, make sure that if you get a kit that you get the right thickness, they are close but if you get the wrong one then you will have problems.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
what engine are you putting this behind?

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds sort of like how I built one years ago. I used the 2wd ford case, drilled and tapped the backside to accept the 4wd adapter from the scout case.

All you should need from the scout case is the ouput shaft, adapter and the spacer sleeve. You'll have to pull apart everything so get yourself a rebuild kit and replace the needle bearings.

Only other thing to look out for is that there are 3 different sized input bearings, make sure that if you get a kit that you get the right thickness, they are close but if you get the wrong one then you will have problems.
Thanks for the post. So it looks like it can be done - be my first time messing with a transmission. Do you have any special tool recommendations? I have snap ring pliers, bearing puller set, etc.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
so like old jeep mentioned, the only thing you need from the scout t-18 is the output shaft, adapter plate, and the bull gear. The rest of the scout t-18 is not needed.

a stock jeep bellhousing, that had a t-176 or t-150 behind it will work just fine with the ford t-18.

carry on!

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Thanks for the post. So it looks like it can be done - be my first time messing with a transmission. Do you have any special tool recommendations? I have snap ring pliers, bearing puller set, etc.

Thanks,
Joe
Sounds like you have it covered. A good bearing puller and lock ring pliers are the only tools you really need. Just make sure you use lots of grease to pack the roller bearings and spacers into the cluster gear so that they are still in place when it comes time to install the shaft. (The lower shaft is the first part to remove and one of the last to install)

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you have it covered. A good bearing puller and lock ring pliers are the only tools you really need. Just make sure you use lots of grease to pack the roller bearings and spacers into the bottom gear so that they are still in place when it comes time to install the shaft. (The lower shaft is the first part to remove and one of the last to install)
Sweet! So no need for a press or anything? Wife is going out of town later next month so I will have 3 weeks to play with this! :D

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Sweet! So no need for a press or anything? Wife is going out of town later next month so I will have 3 weeks to play with this! :D
I didn't have a press at the time. The front bearing is kind of a pain to install, but can be done with a piece of pipe and a hammer.

Also When I say bearing puller, I mean the clamshell type - not the 2-3 arm type.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't have a press at the time. The front bearing is kind of a pain to install, but can be done with a piece of pipe and a hammer.
Thanks. Do you mind if I hit you up with some emails when I get started on this if I have questions?

Joe

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
a bearing puller isn't really needed. It's possible to get the main bearings off simply by stacking lock rings on the outside of the bearing race and using a soft mallet to smack the shaft out. Usually takes 3-4 snap rings per bearing. Also, get a wooden dowel that is slightly smaller in diameter to the counter gear shaft. A broom handle works well. Use this when you assemble the needles into the counter shaft to keep them inplace when you go to put the counter shaft back in. As you slide the counter shaft in, the wooden dummy shaft will slide out and help keep the needles and thrust bearings in place.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a bearing puller isn't really needed. It's possible to get the main bearings off simply by stacking lock rings on the outside of the bearing race and using a soft mallet to smack the shaft out. Usually takes 3-4 snap rings per bearing. Also, get a wooden dowel that is slightly smaller in diameter to the counter gear shaft. A broom handle works well. Use this when you assemble the needles into the counter shaft to keep them inplace when you go to put the counter shaft back in. As you slide the counter shaft in, the wooden dummy shaft will slide out and help keep the needles and thrust bearings in place.
Good tip on the broom handle!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just something i noticed, you said you have snap ring pliers and OldJeep said . . ."lock ring pliers. . . "

Just bear in mind they are different tools. You can rig them to work, and I did that on ONE lock ring when I rebuilt my first T-18. After that I just spent the $15 and saved untold grief.

Justin

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
In the pic of the scout case you can see it says T18A on it. Werent all -A- designation cases 6.32:1?

I am interested to see how this works out as well cuz I have a scout t19 and ford t19 2wd. The ford has granny scout doesnt so if this works I am hoping it will work for my junk too.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the pic of the scout case you can see it says T18A on it. Werent all -A- designation cases 6.32:1?

I am interested to see how this works out as well cuz I have a scout t19 and ford t19 2wd. The ford has granny scout doesnt so if this works I am hoping it will work for my junk too.
I originally thought that also, but I spun the input and it took 4 turns... :shaking:

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
timing is everything---I'll be doing this same thing---I hadn't intended to, but upon seeing this today I will be---

the other day I bought two T18A trannies(no shifters) and a dana 20---they need attn, but that's ok because I figured I'd be rebuilding one of them and the other one would be parts, but I've since found out that they are out of a couple of Scouts----crap I thought these were fords, since they said t18a on the case--but I'm pretty sure they are scout's after doing some more research---

but alas today this thread comes up and so I go calling the junkyards and I find a t18 out of a ford--2wd w/granny gear for sure as I turned the input and counted the output rotations 6.5:1+/- basically and it had a shifter---I got the bellhousing(don't need it, but I took it anyway) and the clutch, pressure plate, shifting fork and throwout bearing--I'm not sure I need any of that stuff, but I nabbed it anyway---I have a 302v8 in my willys, so this should bolt right up with out any issues, but just in case the PO did something funky I decided to cover my bases---

so now I will get the rebuild kit and misc tools and do the same---funny thing is my wife and boys are leaving on the 2nd for a month---I'll be playin' the garage and following this thread----if I do get ahead of you and can add some info I'll do it----

which kit did you order or will you order and from who and how much----I'll be looking into that shortly----chris

1 - 20 of 29 Posts