Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have then engine out, so I thought id mess around alittle. I turned the shaft with it in nuetral. About 1/2 turn sounds and feels fine, then the other half feels and sounds like the front shaft bearing is bad on one side. Can I replace that dued just from the front of the tranny? And where to get another bearing. Also any tips for doing this. I hope it's just pull the bellhousing, spacer and get to it that way. Please tell me so!!!!!! Dennis

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
KYJ10 said:
I have then engine out, so I thought id mess around alittle. I turned the shaft with it in nuetral. About 1/2 turn sounds and feels fine, then the other half feels and sounds like the front shaft bearing is bad on one side. Can I replace that dued just from the front of the tranny? And where to get another bearing. Also any tips for doing this. I hope it's just pull the bellhousing, spacer and get to it that way. Please tell me so!!!!!! Dennis
Remember.. when you turn the input shaft ( input gear, clutch gear.. whatever ) you are also turning the countershaft..

To get the input shaft/gear out you need to pull the bellhousing and then unbolt the front bearing retainer.. Once that is off, you can pull the input shaft/gear out the front. You will also have to line up a notched portion of the input gear with the first counter gear so that it will slide out... youll figure it out. Anyways, if its the front bearing (or possibly even the pilot bearing for the mainshaft that is in the rear of the input shaft ) , it is pretty easy to fix.. If its a countershaft bearing , itll be a little more involved :D

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Based on my recent experience with a T-18 you could pull bellhousing, bearing retainer and bearing but:

That bearing is pressed on the shaft. I used a big assed bearing splitter and a big assed gear puller to get it off the input shaft. You have to remove a C-clip from the input shaft and one from the bearing first. The splitter grabs the groove in the bearing and out she comes.

Getting the new bearing on is a pain. Novak indicates you can leave the bearing on a light bulb to expand the inner race, but it didn't work for me. I used a piece of large pipe with a cap on it to drive the bearing on. If you don't get the bearing on far enough, the tranny will bind when the bearing retainer is installed. So, install the bearing retainer without sealer and make sure the tranny rotates smoothly in first, second and third gears before sealing it up.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
One more thing:

Azzy2000, on mine the gear on the input shaft was larger than the hole in the case, I had to remove the mainshaft before the input shaft could come out.

Both Novak's instructions and my manual said it had to be done this way. Of course I tried to pull it through since it would be so much easier...

·
Registered
811 Posts
NP435 have the notch that can be rotated toegether and then pulled out.

T18 has to move into the case, and then up and out.

sometimes you can drop the idler gear out, and drop the mainshaft down enough to clear the input...BUT once you in this far you might as well replace whatever is suspect, your about halfway to full small-parts rebuild

also try jeepdoc.com for good prices on the individual bearings, or take them to a local bearin supply to match them up

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
ozarkjeep said:
NP435 have the notch that can be rotated toegether and then pulled out.

T18 has to move into the case, and then up and out.

sometimes you can drop the idler gear out, and drop the mainshaft down enough to clear the input...BUT once you in this far you might as well replace whatever is suspect, your about halfway to full small-parts rebuild

also try jeepdoc.com for good prices on the individual bearings, or take them to a local bearin supply to match them up
I see... my 435 had the notch, and an Early Early sm-420 i did also had it.. i thought maybe the t18 would also. thanks for the info. BTW , ill be getting that quote tomorrow on the axle shafts.. been busy lately. sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
t18 stuff

Give this site a try for info on t18's, or any trans for that matter. I got a bunch of stuff from this guy including a hydraulic clutch kit, a new bellhousing, etc. for my AMC360-T18-300Tera4:1 setup. He is more than willing to field any newbie questions, and has been more than helpful for me so far.
Parts Mike

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Parts Mike is the man. On my T-18a I had to pull the rear bearing to remove the main shaft out the top. Then I had to remove the front bearing to remove the input shaft through the top of the tranny. By that time there isn't much left in the damn thing!

You can replace the front bearing only without removing the shafts. You need to buy build or rent a transmittion bearing puller. You can pull and install this bearing after removing the bellhousing and bearing retainer. I wouldn't do it unless I had a problem emminent in the drivability of the transmition. You stand a chance at damaging a new bearing by improper installation. Yes, it's a bitch to install. I don't think what you are hearing is a bad bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts