Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2.5 liter TJ is there a way to install the T18 transmission in my jeep. I would like to replace the AX5. I Have seen people run them in the 4.0s but not the 2.5. Also I already have this transmission left over from another build, It has a Dana 20 transfer case hooked to it, Should I remove it or swap them as a pair. I believe the front shaft is on the wrong side for the TJ on the 20. Can it be flipped? These came out a Jeep Truck of some sort???

Thanks Again

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
867 Posts
It is possible, but i think it will take making your own custom adapter or bellhoushing. I dont think any one currently makes a flip kit for a Dana 20, i know a few vendors were working on them, not sure if they were ever finalized. Also there isnt many t-cases that will bolt up in place of a d20. But you could get an adapter for a D300 or NP231.

I am not sure if the TJ 2.5 is the same bolt pattern as the older CJ ones, (gm motor) but if it is, i believe you coudl get an SM420, or something along those lines to work behind the motor.

Are you looking to get a stronger tranny? or the lower first gear? or both. If you search on here, you will find a good thread about adapting the ax-15 to the 2.5

-Paul

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Well

From Wikipedia. You want a full injected one, so probably 87ish and up. I'd look for a 1500 truck, as you'd be able to get the engine and SM465 in one shot. You could also do a 350, it would be about the same amount of work. I like the 4.3 because it is compact and light and is plenty of motor for a light jeep.

This would be a lot of work, but well worth it IMO.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/tj_swap.htm

4300 applications:

* 1985-2005 Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari
* 1991-1993 GMC Syclone/GMC Typhoon
* 1988-1995 Chevrolet Blazer/GMC Jimmy
* 2001-2002 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana
* 1988-2003 Chevrolet S-10/GMC S-15
* 1994-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
* 1985-2001 Chevrolet C/K
________
Live sex

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is possible, but i think it will take making your own custom adapter or bellhoushing. I dont think any one currently makes a flip kit for a Dana 20, i know a few vendors were working on them, not sure if they were ever finalized. Also there isnt many t-cases that will bolt up in place of a d20. But you could get an adapter for a D300 or NP231.

I am not sure if the TJ 2.5 is the same bolt pattern as the older CJ ones, (gm motor) but if it is, i believe you coudl get an SM420, or something along those lines to work behind the motor.

Are you looking to get a stronger tranny? or the lower first gear? or both. If you search on here, you will find a good thread about adapting the ax-15 to the 2.5

-Paul
I am mostly looking for a lower gearing, of course stronger is always good, With the 2.5 i need all the gear i can get.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i believe the early broncos came with the dana 20 with the drivers side drop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts