Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was cool and bought me a blue tooth obd2 set up for my buggy. Who uses something like this instead of gauges in a recreational wheeler? There seems to be a lot of features that I like about it but haven't used it on the trail yet

·
Registered
139 Posts
i really like the torq app got mine working for speed trip temp instant fuel mileage n rpm. seems to work good. thats the free app. heard the paid version u can do more.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you just need a kick-ass way to mount your tablet in your buggy.

...crap...I can't currently post a pic. Hard drives are doing.....something.

But we have tough cage mounts for smartphones all the way up to full size tablets.
I'm not seeing it on your site. Whatcha got?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Im planning on running a tablet and the torque app for the gauges in my 5.3 xj when its done in a month or so.

I just have one of the super cheap ebay dongles. Im just going to use one of the $100 pos 10" tablets from bestbuy for now to make sure I like the idea before spending money on a better tablet.

Im going to use this for mounting. seems to be the best option for being able to lock it in place.
Ram Mount Tab-Lock Universal Locking Cradle for 10-Inch Screen Tablets (RAMHOLTABL8U) at Amazon.com

I have tested the App and dongle in my 6.0 Chevy and it works flawlessly. I have the paid version which has a much nicer layout than the free version.
I even tried a custom PID that i found online for the oil pressure and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I just have one of the super cheap ebay dongles.
I started off with one of those, too. Then it started not working now and again. Then not working became the norm and it started working now and again. Then it became very rare that it ever worked. I figured I would try another and had the same results. I finally broke down and bought this:

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink LX Bluetooth Scan Tool - OBD-II Adapter | ScanTool.net - ScanTool.net

Works flawlessly and is way faster, which is something I would think you would want to consider when trying to gauge real-time data. It was dumb of me not to just buy this in the first place.

·
4X4 HACK
2,980 Posts
I have a carburetor is there an app for that? :flipoff2:

My speedo doesn't work and I do use a GPS speedo app on my phone for it.

·
CrawlTunes
3,862 Posts
Don't have the iPad ones up on the site yet. I'm in the process up moving all my media to a Network Attached Storage Drive(and it's taking forever) so I can't access pics or get it on my site yet. I got them in just before KOH.

There's some pics on the Cartotracks KOH thread. Check 'em out. They're map setup is sweet.
Basically just adapted the RAM Mounts iPad X-Grip(and all there other size x-grips) to our aluminum cage clamp. And our price is awesome on em.

Sold a handful at KOH, but most of the racers didn't get a chance to come check em out.
But they got trail tested hard and I got nothing but good feedback back.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I would suggest going with a RAM Tab-Lock mount instead of the universal mount. The Tab-Lock mount is a MUCH sturdier mount to hold the tablet. When I was purchasing a mount for my Samsung , I talked at length with the retailer (gpscity.com) about my needs and they suggested the Tab-lock mount instead of the universal mount. A few months afterwards I was very pleased with their recommendation. While trying to climb Who's Your Daddy" at Stony Lonesome I rolled the Jeep VERY badly, it went through 8+ barrel rolls and and an endo landing in a tree about 8' off the ground. The tablet and mount were pretty much the only things that were not damaged. The only thing that happened was that the holder rotated slightly upwards from the original position.

One suggestion I would make with the RAM mounts is to actually TALK to a retailer when selecting the components. There are so many different RAM mounts, arms, mounting plates and combintaions that it's kind of overwhelming to figure out exactly what parts you need, especially if it's a non-standard set-up.

Here's the pictures of the aftermath:

And the tablet/mount:

·
Registered
699 Posts
what is everyone doing for waterproofing? I'd love to have a tablet in my buggy for the tuning aspect of things and def the music as i already use an old smart phone for my tunes. i keep it (smart phone) in a waterproof lockbox up front but it would be nice to adjust everything on the fly. can't reach the box when harnessed in lol

1 - 20 of 132 Posts