Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I didn't know this until just now ... there are already Android stereo head units on the market. Not sure how weather-proof they all are but apparently it's possible to run Torque on some of them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been looking at this for a while now as well. I currently run an android based head unit with Torque with a Bluetooth dongle in my daily to keep an eye on the engine. Im currently waiting on an parts for a Arduino based OBD2 Data logger complete with GPS and external sensors input to build a digital dash with twin LCD screens one for me and one for the co-driver in my buggy thats being built .

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ok, somebody with a better idea what they're looking at see if there's any merit to this idea... An Arduino microcontroller setup like THIS LINK, which apparently gets you standard inputs into torque. (Once you figure out how to configure all of it in Arduino of course)

First fault I could see in the idea would be can you connect to 2 different bluetooth sources with torque to pull data? I have zero clue on any of this, I'm just scouring the net for ideas right now, so feel free to set me straight in the most common words possible :laughing:

EDIT: Parking this link here for future reference: https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Arduino

·
CrawlTunes
3,862 Posts
For a crawler, I typically talk most of our customers out of headunits in their stereo.
It can save you quite a bit to go straight from a tablet/phone straight into an amp through AUX cord, bluetooth, or custom device specific adapter.

The amp I carry with built in bluetooth and waterproof wire remote sells for less than most marine headunits.

2CH4CH RF BT PKG.jpg

I'm actually looking at having zero switches on dash of my new tow rig build and will be running my switches, possibly gauges(it's a mechanical diesel, no OBDII), and they even have custom A/C control apps.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
as far as the audio goes, I have the kenwood amp that tawlboy sells, and I LOVE it. I will never have another head-unit in a rig again, and with tablet gauges it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Has anyone found a hard wired usb that puts out enough amps to actually charge the tablet whike its being used? I bought one that was supposedly 3 amps but my tablet dies because it still drains the battery.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
In torque, under settings, hit manage custom obd2 pids. Hit the more button and add predefined set or custom pid. Add the predefined gm set, and then add whatever else you want.

If it is an '04 or '05 ecm, you will need to edit the oil pressure pid like below. I have verified with a mechanical gauge, reads as it should :smokin:

OK It looks like I found the elusive Oil Pressure PID for our 2004 GTO's:

PID: 22115c
Min Value: 0
Max Value: 100 # This puts the needle at 12 o'clock at 50 psi
Scale: x1
Unit: psi
Equation: (A*0.65)-17.5 OBD Header: Auto
So put this in for my 01 5.3 burb and i get a reading of -17.5 psi Is there different formulas or what could make it incorrect?

Its been fun messing with torque and i have found the oil temp and trans temp also. If i can get the oil pressure figured out i will be golden.

I am getting them set up for back up gagues for my 4500 rig, the good gauges are set up for my codog.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
looked it over and really not impressed to be honest and its very small and the BT to use with a tablet or phone has bad reviews. i will keep messing with torque, just have to get the oil pressure dialed in and im good.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
What dongle is everyone have the best luck with? Thinking this will be a great way to have both gauges and music in the buggy when the 6.0 goes in.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
What dongle is everyone have the best luck with? Thinking this will be a great way to have both gauges and music in the buggy when the 6.0 goes in.
i tried the elm327 and could never get it to sync, wast of $10. I then purchased bafx products obd II and it has worked flawlessly but was $25.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i tried the elm327 and could never get it to sync, wast of $10. I then purchased bafx products obd II and it has worked flawlessly but was $25.
Ive got the same elm327, works for me. It was 4 bucks so i took a shot.

Anyone found a usb charger that puts out enough power to charge the tablet while in use? I have the 3 amp dual port and my tablet drains out slowly while telling me the charger is insufficient.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Thanks for the links and ideas. Will probly order next week and play with it on my 8.1 XL.

The charging thing could be as simple, but extra work by running an inverter and use the quick charger that the Galaxys use. Maybe?

·
NERD
8,562 Posts
Looking at using TORQUE app or iphone equivalent app but wondering if there's a way to program a red light on the app to blink or shine when certain conditions arise. Say less than 30psi oil pressure and 210+ coolant/oil temps. Is this possible?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I use my old Ipad2 for music, movies, navigation and engine management. Works great. It was getting old and slow for internet use, but works perfect for this. Otterbox case with Ram mounts work great.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
What apps are you using for maps and engine management? I have apple products and I know torque app doesn't work on apple

I use my old Ipad2 for music, movies, navigation and engine management. Works great. It was getting old and slow for internet use, but works perfect for this. Otterbox case with Ram mounts work great.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Looking at using TORQUE app or iphone equivalent app but wondering if there's a way to program a red light on the app to blink or shine when certain conditions arise. Say less than 30psi oil pressure and 210+ coolant/oil temps. Is this possible?
On Torque you can set minimum and maximum warning values. As well as set gauge range. It's pretty customizable. I would reccomend downloading Torque light for free and play with setting up the gauges to see it's adjustability.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts