Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I use my old Ipad2 for music, movies, navigation and engine management. Works great. It was getting old and slow for internet use, but works perfect for this. Otterbox case with Ram mounts work great.
Can you list the apps you use for each of your functions.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Has anyone used a hardwired usb port for charging the tablet while using for gauges? I got what looked to be a good one and it overheats whatever is plugged into it all while not charging at all. If you have one that works where did you get it?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Has anyone used a hardwired usb port for charging the tablet while using for gauges? I got what looked to be a good one and it overheats whatever is plugged into it all while not charging at all. If you have one that works where did you get it?
I can plug the charge cord into the USB port on my radio or into the adapter in my OEM 12V port. No problems with either and we leave the screen on all the time so it's drawing a lot.

I think something is wrong with your port.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating here.

I don't know about these as they apply to cars/trucks, but I'm very fermillier with them on aircraft. The feature I really like is you can run a moving map GPS all the time with no gauges. Than if some peramiter goes out of a preset limit, the map turns off and the Guage pops up on the whole screen. For axample, a giant oil pressure Guage showing 15 psi.

There's a button to bring up the gauges if you want, but there's not really a need. Also you can put a couple indicators on the edges if you want them all the time. (Maybe tach or fuel?)

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating here.

I don't know about these as they apply to cars/trucks, but I'm very fermillier with them on aircraft. The feature I really like is you can run a moving map GPS all the time with no gauges. Than if some peramiter goes out of a preset limit, the map turns off and the Guage pops up on the whole screen. For axample, a giant oil pressure Guage showing 15 psi.

There's a button to bring up the gauges if you want, but there's not really a need. Also you can put a couple indicators on the edges if you want them all the time. (Maybe tach or fuel?)
more info plz.
aircraft are OBD2? or something else

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
no tablet yet, but I hard wired a usb port (2 in 1) into the buggy. now I can constantly charge the gopro and still charge a phone if necessary. no overheating issues with the gopro plugged in all the time.

I will be plugging the tablet in once I go that route

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Look for one that puts out at least 2 amps, otherwise it will overheat charging a tablet.
(perhaps something like this: https://www.amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-MP0609-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Charger/dp/B01M7R8C2O )

Aaron Z
The one I got was suppose to be 3.1 amps or somewhere around there but its a 2 port so probably only capable of 1.5 on each port.

I can plug the charge cord into the USB port on my radio or into the adapter in my OEM 12V port. No problems with either and we leave the screen on all the time so it's drawing a lot.

I think something is wrong with your port.
Is there a possibility of electrical noise causing a problem? the reason I ask is I had my amp powered from the same lugs and had to move it directly to the battery because the amp was squealing so bad.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
more info plz.
aircraft are OBD2? or something else
Well, I don't think so. (Some may be) Actually, what I was refuring to, is there are many companies that offer a modual that either comes with the sensors or excepts many standard sensors and it has an output to a multifunction display. (iPad or whatever) I'm not aware of a "plug and play" system for OBD2, but there maybe.

Not sure if you are acquainted with aircraft. There are two markets. Certified and Expermental. (Don't let the name scare you) Certified is rediculas expensive and is no use to us. It is also somewhat "behind the times". But the Expermental market is cost effective and very up to date.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
So put this in for my 01 5.3 burb and i get a reading of -17.5 psi Is there different formulas or what could make it incorrect?

Its been fun messing with torque and i have found the oil temp and trans temp also. If i can get the oil pressure figured out i will be golden.

I am getting them set up for back up gagues for my 4500 rig, the good gauges are set up for my codog.
I'm getting the same negative value. Did you ever figure this out? Also getting a negative value for my trans temp.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
GPS based speed. you can adjust the gear ratio/tire size/etc to see what "hp/torque" numbers you are theoretically making.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have an update on my sub not charging correctly, turns out all usb cords aren't created the same. I just tried another cord for some random reason and it works perfect. Plug the other cord in and the phone says to use an own charger for faster charge, so this cord limits amps some how.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just bought a Dragon Touch A1X Plus 10.1" (Bluetooth, g sensors, wifi, gps)screen tablet for $47 off ebay. Too cheap not to try it out. Bought RAM Mount pieces to attach in front of where my gauges are currently. Will post up my results once I get it all running.
How is this cheap tablet working for you?

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
How is this cheap tablet working for you?
I don't know about him but I recently purchased an Android head unit for a 2014 VW TDI that I drive daily. It has Torque Pro on it with a dedicated bluetooth OBD2 dingle that lives in the OBD2 port and I have several screen full of gauges that I use regularly use. It is a completely viable alternative to real in-dash gauges. I do not see myself ever installing real gauges in any buggy ever again.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts