Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't know about him but I recently purchased an Android head unit for a 2014 VW TDI that I drive daily. It has Torque Pro on it with a dedicated bluetooth OBD2 dingle that lives in the OBD2 port and I have several screen full of gauges that I use regularly use. It is a completely viable alternative to real in-dash gauges. I do not see myself ever installing real gauges in any buggy ever again.
Did you go with a cheaper chinese head unit or a name brand?

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I don't know about him but I recently purchased an Android head unit for a 2014 VW TDI that I drive daily. It has Torque Pro on it with a dedicated bluetooth OBD2 dingle that lives in the OBD2 port and I have several screen full of gauges that I use regularly use. It is a completely viable alternative to real in-dash gauges. I do not see myself ever installing real gauges in any buggy ever again.
Did you go with a cheaper chinese head unit or a name brand?
There are only cheap Chinese units. Some you pay more for. Mine is Eonon but they don't make it. I don't know who does but all the units available for my vw appeared to be made by the same company and packaged under different brands. Eonon is a terrible company but the best of the bad of the units available for my application.

Edit: It pisses me of off that OEM's are still putting proprietary head units in their vehicles that only half-ass support Android or Apple at best. The shit they are putting in their $75,000 trucks is crap. One day one of them is going to give in, make a deal with Android or Apple to ship all their vehicles with true Android / iOS units and they are going to dominate the market. At that point the aftermarket will finally start coming out with some decent, modern Android head units. Most everything on the market right now is outdated Android OS's by several generations with tablet technology from 2010. If the OEM's don't adopt one of them soon, Google or Apple is just going to start making cars and destroy the OEM's like they did with Microsoft and their complete failure to anticipate the future. Especially since Google and Apple both have such a huge step up on self-driving cars. Once those become common, who is going to buy a proprietary GM or Ford self-driver when they could have an iOS or Android?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Has anyone used a hardwired usb port for charging the tablet while using for gauges? I got what looked to be a good one and it overheats whatever is plugged into it all while not charging at all. If you have one that works where did you get it?
I know this is an old question, but I've been playing with this lately and ran into some issues with my tablet (Samsung SM-T350, it's the 8" one that's often on sale at Costco for around $130).

If you're using Bluetooth for your data link, things are good to use USB to charge and Bluetooth for data. I tried to use USB for both, there is a protocol called USB OTG (On The Go) that allows you to use the tablet as a USB master device (it's normally a slave device). At least with my tablet, though, you can't charge it and use it as a master at the same time.

So in my case, I'm using Bluetooth data and USB power, and it's pretty happy that way. I'm using MSDroid though, which is specific to Megasquirt/Microsquirt (I have Microsquirt). I have not tried it with other apps/platforms as yet.

I'm not using anything very special as far as the USB charger goes, just some generic lighter socket to USB adapter off Amazon.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I know this is an old question, but I've been playing with this lately and ran into some issues with my tablet (Samsung SM-T350, it's the 8" one that's often on sale at Costco for around $130).

If you're using Bluetooth for your data link, things are good to use USB to charge and Bluetooth for data. I tried to use USB for both, there is a protocol called USB OTG (On The Go) that allows you to use the tablet as a USB master device (it's normally a slave device). At least with my tablet, though, you can't charge it and use it as a master at the same time.

So in my case, I'm using Bluetooth data and USB power, and it's pretty happy that way. I'm using MSDroid though, which is specific to Megasquirt/Microsquirt (I have Microsquirt). I have not tried it with other apps/platforms as yet.

I'm not using anything very special as far as the USB charger goes, just some generic lighter socket to USB adapter off Amazon.

I'm only charging with the USB. I've found if I start with a full battery in the am it goes down slowly and doesn't get too hot. Start with a low battery and it sucks. I may try another cord since I learned recently all USB cords aren't created equally.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Since most info is 2 years old what's they best option today for guages and getting code's etc using a bluetooth and Samsung S2 8". Would also like to use this for trails..so not sure if I can split the screen and have both app's up. Plus how to use bluetooth and a GPS puck..hardwired?

Its for a 2011 JKU, 5.3 LS with 6l80e

Brand recommendation of USB bluetooth and App's to use would be help-full, this shits all over my head. Getting to old for all this tech:rolleyes:

Thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts
Has anyone been able to connect an aftermarket EFI system to a tablet for gauges? Looking to put EFI on my buggy and would like to use Torque or another app for the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
I use a tablet and Toque with a OBDlink MX+..its works but sometimes requires rebooting. Biggest problem is seems to make the motor have a instantaneous hard jerk-miss between 2000-2500rpm. So far never has happened with it disconnected.

Not sure if its the app or the MX+

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Has anyone been able to connect an aftermarket EFI system to a tablet for gauges? Looking to put EFI on my buggy and would like to use Torque or another app for the engine.
Are you asking what aftermarket EFI systems work with an app on a tablet or if a specific aftermarket EFI will work with a tablet?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Are you asking what aftermarket EFI systems work with an app on a tablet or if a specific aftermarket EFI will work with a tablet?
I am planning to install an aftermarket EFI on my engine. I have not chosen a specific unit.

From my searching it appears that the Eldebrock PF4 is the only one. I know there are others here that are running EFI, so asking to see if anyone has found a way to use a tablet for gauges/diagnostics/etc with any of them.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I am planning to install an aftermarket EFI on my engine. I have not chosen a specific unit.

From my searching it appears that the Eldebrock PF4 is the only one. I know there are others here that are running EFI, so asking to see if anyone has found a way to use a tablet for gauges/diagnostics/etc with any of them.
I'm not familiar with all the options but I believe megasquirt has a tablet app as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another option for a tablet is to get a Samsung Tab Active2. (The TAB Active2 ... Not the "Watch Active 2")These are available in 8" or 10" versions and are rugged, weather sealed, daylight readable and the RAM mounts for them include a power connection (don't need to "plug in" GPS).

These tablets are 'industrial' in nature, so they seem to stay the same form factor from the origional Active model to the newer Active2 model. So hopefully the Active3 will also fit the same mount.

-Ben

121 - 132 of 132 Posts