Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Most YES!! And I say most.. I have had 2 differant taco axles.. One was a elocker trd axle but it was only 58 3/4 inches wide...the other one was 60 " wide.. Most are 60 inches wide.. Measure yours wms to wms and see.. if it is 60" then any taco axle will work.. If it is 58 3/4 then a wider one will not work in that housing it will bottom out inside the diff...

there is enough left on the splines to go the other way with out any problems...PAT

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pat said:
Most YES!! And I say most.. I have had 2 differant taco axles.. One was a elocker trd axle but it was only 58 3/4 inches wide...the other one was 60 " wide.. Most are 60 inches wide.. Measure yours wms to wms and see.. if it is 60" then any taco axle will work.. If it is 58 3/4 then a wider one will not work in that housing it will bottom out inside the diff...

there is enough left on the splines to go the other way with out any problems...PAT
In other words your 60" was NOT an elocker axle? The Taco TRD elocker axle is actually a 3rd Gen 4Runner axle, right? So if he has an elock axle, wouldn't it be the narrower one?

TOYJ-7 did you actually measure it?

I'm only asking because the answer might imply that there are actually three different axle housings put under the Taco.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pat said:
it was not a 4 runner axle..4 runners never came with leaf springs and this had factory leaf pearches on it... :D

And since the one I had I have found ONE more TACO axle that was 58 3/4" and not a elocker ;)
I was refering to the housing, not which perches Toyota welded on them. :rolleyes:

I was trying to figure whether there were two widths of elocker housings (and open housings for that matter). I know the 3rd Gen 4Runner uses a wider housing than the 2nd Gen 8". My assumption was that Toyota made the elock housings the same width for the 3rd Gen 4R and just stuck them under the Taco. Maybe they used two widths under the Taco.

·
Registered
142 Posts
im pretty sure that there are only 2 axles available in the taco, the TRD, and the non TRD, the trd is a 8" axles just like the older ones, but the non TRD axles are larger 8.4" axles, and they are both the same width. almost 61" wms to wms

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
larsdennert said:

I was refering to the housing, not which perches Toyota welded on them. :rolleyes:

I was trying to figure whether there were two widths of elocker housings (and open housings for that matter). I know the 3rd Gen 4Runner uses a wider housing than the 2nd Gen 8". My assumption was that Toyota made the elock housings the same width for the 3rd Gen 4R and just stuck them under the Taco. Maybe they used two widths under the Taco.

That is why I stated it had Leaf spring perches......4runners have COIL SPRINGS....YES THERE ARE 2 differant widths... as stated clearly...:flipoff2: and wether they are trd elocker or not seems to make no differance

And ROCKZILLA there are 2 Differant width axles IN tacomas I have owned both and am VERY SURE>>>:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
And the 60" ones are exactly 60", not "nearly 61". :flipoff2:

Its always funny listening to the "I'm pretty sure" (aka PCE)people telling the "I've got one right here and I measured it myself" type people how things "are." :p

Oh and while we're at it, 90-95 4runner axles are 58.5" wide vs. the '86-95 pickup axles which are 58".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.