Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I built my first Taco tube bumper with tube fender protection w/ my JD2 for a friend this weekend and polished it off last night. Used all 1 5/8" tube. Overall I think it turned out pretty well. Its not perfect, but it was fun making it.

Still needs some more work. Gonna add some plate to the front to protect the rad a little and some gussets.

Heres a few pics:

Now if I can only convince him to do a SAS on that thing......

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Who cares about looks? If they work...

In an ideal world, you'd run a bar over the windshield cown to tie it in, but hopefully this will help him next time he flops it.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Not a big fan of the fender bars, but the rest looks ok.

I see your idea for fender protection, but that tube has so many bends in it, and no visible support, it seems like that would fold in to the fender so damn easily, it's not even worth having.

·
Registered
356 Posts
and hopefully he will paint the fender bars black. im assuming that is just primer on there?? I like it otherwise.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing that was hard to work around, is that the owner didnt want to cut/chop to much of it. So I put the tubes down on the flares in case they do give in a flop theyll only take out the flare. He flopped it once b/f the tubes and it caved in his whole fender, so we are just trying to avoid that damage.

If you got any suggestions for support for the tubes, fire them away, im open to suggestions.

It was fun makin and gives me experience with the tube bender.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Godzilla said:
and hopefully he will paint the fender bars black. im assuming that is just primer on there?? I like it otherwise.
Yea, its all primer. I ran out of black and had some walmart white laying around. I believe he is going to rhino line it.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Jeepin_NC said:

I believe he is going to rhino line it.
Knowing John, that means he's gonan spray on some stuff from a can... :flipoff2:

picture a bar going across the base of the windshield, and tieing into the fender bars... that will help prevent them from bending quite as easily.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Jeepin_NC said:

If you got any suggestions for support for the tubes, fire them away, im open to suggestions.

like eskimo mentioned, a bar across the windshield cowl from one fender to the other would work im sure...

im surprised he wanted tube fenders but decided not to remove the flares. Ida at least killed the flares and moved them tubes in a bit.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Eskimo said:

picture a bar going across the base of the windshield, and tieing into the fender bars... that will help prevent them from bending quite as easily.
That would be just about the only way to do it. Those might hold up to a minor abrasion (scraping a tree or something like that), but I don't think there is any way they will survive a rollover. IMO, all that you have really done there is make it 1 5/8ths wider, and in the event of a roll, possibly causing it to crush in 1 5/8ths further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts