Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently replaced the rear axle seals on my 1998 4wd Tacoma due to gear oil leakage into the drum brake, and am still having problems with leakage. The seals were replaced correctly (nice and flush in the axle and all the way in) and the seal housing bores are perfectly round. I don't understand how the oil could still be getting out. The diff is not overfilled and by driving the truck, the axles don't feel out of round so I don't think they are destroying the seals. Anyone have some ideas on what can be causing this leakage? Thanks

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Check the axle breather, make sure its not plugged.
Make sure the sealing surface on the axle (bearing retainer ring) doesn't have a groove worn into it.
Double check the axle shaft to make sure its not bent.
Make sure the bearing isn't worn out. A lot of times the leaky seal is an early indicator of a bad bearing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anything I can do to check the bearing other than a visual and "feel type" inspection?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked with a dealership techie and he said that if the wheel bearing is out, I would hear a howling noise. There is no howling noise coming from either side, I am truly stumped on what it could be

·
Registered
363 Posts
These seals have been semi problematic, I have replaced mine a few times. Even though everything looks fine to the naked eye, there is probably an imperfection that you can't see. I'd be willing to bet that the shafts may be bent very slightly or the new seals were damaged when installed. Maybe it's time to go full floating back there anyway...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SEAN_at_TLT said:
These seals have been semi problematic, I have replaced mine a few times. Even though everything looks fine to the naked eye, there is probably an imperfection that you can't see. I'd be willing to bet that the shafts may be bent very slightly or the new seals were damaged when installed. Maybe it's time to go full floating back there anyway...
It just may be that the seals could have been faulty. I can't figure out what else it would be. One last question and I'll get out everyone's hair, should I spread a bit of oil on the seal (outside and inside) to ensure that I don't damage the seal when inserting the axle and to ensure that it slides nice and easy into the axle bore? Thanks again

Ryan

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Yes, you should always grease seal lips before installing whatever rides against the lips (the axle shaft in this case).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ErikB said:
Yes, you should always grease seal lips before installing whatever rides against the lips (the axle shaft in this case).
Should I grease them or oil them or does it matter?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My brother experienced the same problems with his Tacoma. Replaced seals and bearings several times and it kept leaking. Apparently (he was told) that Tacoma axles w/ ABS are prone to bending just enough to cause seal problems :confused: Anyway, he went with the FROR full floater kit because, he was tired of not having any rear brakes :eek: ............Hans

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oatmeal said:
My brother experienced the same problems with his Tacoma. Replaced seals and bearings several times and it kept leaking. Apparently (he was told) that Tacoma axles w/ ABS are prone to bending just enough to cause seal problems :confused: Anyway, he went with the FROR full floater kit because, he was tired of not having any rear brakes :eek: ............Hans
Interesting, from what I understand all Tacomas besides the 2wd versions have ABS, would that make all Tacomas prone to this problem :confused: I don't know if this info that was told to you is entirely accurate, but I may look into it. In the meantime, I'm going to replace the seals for the second time and see what kind of results I get

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
SASToy said:
Interesting, from what I understand all Tacomas besides the 2wd versions have ABS, would that make all Tacomas prone to this problem :confused: I don't know if this info that was told to you is entirely accurate, but I may look into it. In the meantime, I'm going to replace the seals for the second time and see what kind of results I get
Like I said, that's what he was told, don't know it to be fact. My brother's TRD is a Limited and he carries alot of weight, bumper/tire and can rack, shell full of gear, he's what I call a kitchen sink camper (everything AND the kitchen sink :eek: ) so, it wouldn't suprise me if his shafts were bent. Not all Tacomas, at least not the earlier ones, came with ABS. I've got a friend that has an earlier TRD with no ABS and, come to think of it I don't think, he has ever had any seal problems and he carries just as much weight as my brother :eek: ...........Hans

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a '97 4Runner that has the same issues. Just changed the seals July '03 and here I am doing it again. FROR, eh?I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll have to check into a full floater kit although this is a DD, it might not be worth the expensive kit. I will replace the seals and see how they hold up, I did have a 96 runner that did not have any seal problems whatsoever

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to Oregon via Pismo in July; I had oil leaking then but it was not bad until I got back from Oregon. I had replaced the outer seals first because the stealer wanted 350 each side to do them, telling me that they have to distroy the ABS ring to get to the inner seal. That was BS! I took my truck to Riverside Auto Plaza and they did the inner seal on the right and was able to repress the ABS ring back on. The rings cost around 90 bucks at the dealer.
I guess they have a guy that can press anything, he does not like the Tacomas but can do them for 35.00 each if he has too.
I guess now, after reading this thread I am wondering why you still have a leak. I carry everything, everyday and have 89k on the two year old truck, this is the first seal that leaked, the left side was good and the outer seal I did on my own was holding up.
One thing that people have suggested was the bearing; I agree, if oil soaks the bearing enough, it will go out, just replace them everytime you do the inner seal.
( I always get these two mixed up, inner by the ABS ring?, outer on the diff.?)
Anyway, good luck fixing the problem.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Macgyver46 said:
I went to Oregon via Pismo in July; I had oil leaking then but it was not bad until I got back from Oregon. I had replaced the outer seals first because the stealer wanted 350 each side to do them, telling me that they have to distroy the ABS ring to get to the inner seal. That was BS! I took my truck to Riverside Auto Plaza and they did the inner seal on the right and was able to repress the ABS ring back on. The rings cost around 90 bucks at the dealer.
I guess they have a guy that can press anything, he does not like the Tacomas but can do them for 35.00 each if he has too.
I guess now, after reading this thread I am wondering why you still have a leak. I carry everything, everyday and have 89k on the two year old truck, this is the first seal that leaked, the left side was good and the outer seal I did on my own was holding up.
One thing that people have suggested was the bearing; I agree, if oil soaks the bearing enough, it will go out, just replace them everytime you do the inner seal.
( I always get these two mixed up, inner by the ABS ring?, outer on the diff.?)
Anyway, good luck fixing the problem.
The "inner" seal is the one that's in the housing and keeps the oil in. The "outer" seal is more of dirt/mud/dust seal to keep all the crud off of the bearing (notice I said "off" and not "out" of as, the bearing, itself, is sealed).........Hans

1 - 18 of 18 Posts