Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

I lurk here from time to time...dont post much but anyways...

Over at the TTORA site it seems like theres been quite a few people doing a SAS on their Tacomas. I was wondering if yall have any opinions on it...like is it worth it? I have a 2000 TRD Taco 4x4 that I need lifted and its looks like I could do a SAS for just a little more money than I could a TM kit. Would yall do it, or not. Would I be wasting my time?

I also have a '72 K5 Blazer that I'm building, so I already have 1 solid axle 4x4 but another would be nice.

Thanks,
David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
If you want to use a dana 44 to bolt the tires to under your front end it's about as expensive as the TM or PC lift.

If you can do the labor yourself it's about as expensive as a TM or PC lift.

The people that keep saying a Taco SAS is cheap are forgetting things like tires, gears and lockers. Mostly because they were lifted before starting. But me, I started at about -1" lift (sagging stock suspension). So far I've spent over 2200. I've only paid a portion of the labor, I still need tires and gears and a front driveshaft. The total cost will be more like 4000. If it costs you 4000 to do a TM or PC lift then you did something wrong.

But, I imagine the benefits will far outweigh the cost. I've only had it for a few days now so I don't really know.

Before you go buying parts, do a TON of research. Check the link in my sig, and check all of the links on that page. There is a lot to be learned. Read the entire "Extreme/Hardcore" section at TTORA and anything that has the letters SAS in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Originally posted by dr1553:
<STRONG>Everyone,

I lurk here from time to time...dont post much but anyways...

Over at the TTORA site it seems like theres been quite a few people doing a SAS on their Tacomas. I was wondering if yall have any opinions on it...like is it worth it? I have a 2000 TRD Taco 4x4 that I need lifted and its looks like I could do a SAS for just a little more money than I could a TM kit. Would yall do it, or not. Would I be wasting my time?

I also have a '72 K5 Blazer that I'm building, so I already have 1 solid axle 4x4 but another would be nice.

Thanks,
David</STRONG>
Leave it stock and find something to build that you can also tear up without having to cry every time you smash it. If I could do it over again that's what I would do. I have recently bought a 84 to build so now I have 2 trucks that need $$ and work put in to them. The 84 is stock with a bad Tcase and no telling what else so it needs a lot of work and the Tacoma has been running on 33s since 97 until the last 6 months when I put on 35s so the front suspension and steering which is the weak link in the Tacoma is pretty much shot. So a SAS is probably in its future if I keep it which I'm sure I will. If you have to lift the Tacoma and don't get me wrong they look bad ass lifted just save yourself the $$ and do it right the first time SAS all the way. Also how far are you from Austin TX?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Originally posted by dr1553:
<STRONG>Would I be wasting my time?

</STRONG>

You tell me.... <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0">
http://www.norcalttora.com/projects/steve_sas/Marlin_Roundup/


There is no doubt that it's a lot of work and a lot of time involved, but i Deffinatly think it's worth it. (I have been working on mine for about a month now, and still have a bunch of stuff to do...

<IMG SRC="smilies/jeep2.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Originally posted by dr1553:
<STRONG>Everyone,

I lurk here from time to time...dont post much but anyways...

Over at the TTORA site it seems like theres been quite a few people doing a SAS on their Tacomas. I was wondering if yall have any opinions on it...like is it worth it? I have a 2000 TRD Taco 4x4 that I need lifted and its looks like I could do a SAS for just a little more money than I could a TM kit. Would yall do it, or not. Would I be wasting my time?

I also have a '72 K5 Blazer that I'm building, so I already have 1 solid axle 4x4 but another would be nice.

Thanks,
David</STRONG>
It depends on how your going to use the truck.. If you take it off road here and there and are afraid of dents and scrathes then no, don't waste your time...

But if you wheel it so much, that your replacing rack and pioions every 30,000 miles and your carrying spare CV's around just in case.. then go for it!

The tacoma stock is very capable! Don't waste your money...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Skulls138:
<STRONG>
Originally posted by dr1553:
[qb]Everyone,

</STRONG>
Leave it stock and find something to build that you can also tear up without having to cry every time you smash it. If I could do it over again that's what I would do. I have recently bought a 84 to build so now I have 2 trucks that need $$ and work put in to them. The 84 is stock with a bad Tcase and no telling what else so it needs a lot of work and the Tacoma has been running on 33s since 97 until the last 6 months when I put on 35s so the front suspension and steering which is the weak link in the Tacoma is pretty much shot. So a SAS is probably in its future if I keep it which I'm sure I will. If you have to lift the Tacoma and don't get me wrong they look bad ass lifted just save yourself the $$ and do it right the first time SAS all the way. Also how far are you from Austin TX?[/QB]
I'm about 3hrs from Austin. Not far at all. I'm South of Houston on the coast. I need to come up there and wheel with yall sometime soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Originally posted by dr1553:
<STRONG>Everyone,

I lurk here from time to time...dont post much but anyways...

Over at the TTORA site it seems like theres been quite a few people doing a SAS on their Tacomas. I was wondering if yall have any opinions on it...like is it worth it? I have a 2000 TRD Taco 4x4 that I need lifted and its looks like I could do a SAS for just a little more money than I could a TM kit. Would yall do it, or not. Would I be wasting my time?

I also have a '72 K5 Blazer that I'm building, so I already have 1 solid axle 4x4 but another would be nice.

Thanks,
David</STRONG>
Well... If your not going to wheel it then dont waste your money. Also... you cant be afraid to get a few dents in your truck (although you dont have to destroy your truck to have a good times such as some people think).

I enjoy my Solid axle alot. I have the power of the 3.4, the nice new interrior for those long all day offroad trips (with kick ass AC for when its 115 outside), and the capabilities of a Solid axle (awsome!). I feel that I have the best of both worlds.

The only downside is if you do major body damage then it would be more expensive to fix. So far I have been lucky and have only ended up with smaller sized dents. I can live with those.

Yogi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Originally posted by BigBadBob:
[QB]If you want to use a dana 44 to bolt the tires to under your front end it's about as expensive as the TM or PC lift.

If you can do the labor yourself it's about as expensive as a TM or PC lift.

The people that keep saying a Taco SAS is cheap are forgetting things like tires, gears and lockers. Mostly because they were lifted before starting. But me, I started at about -1" lift (sagging stock suspension). So far I've spent over 2200. I've only paid a portion of the labor, I still need tires and gears and a front driveshaft. The total cost will be more like 4000. If it costs you 4000 to do a TM or PC lift then you did something wrong.
QB]
ahh, but if you consider the TM lift, tires/rims and gears... your really not that far off.. (random pricing) $1329(lift) + $1000(tires/rims) + $320(gears) = $2649 not to mention that you'd probably want a locker in the front to wheel in places close to what a SAS Tacoma would beable to go, and the CV joints you'd have to replace... you get the idea $$$. Its actually scarey what the differences in performance would be offroad considering the "little" money difference. Also... have you sold any of your stock IFS parts? $$$$ but maybe I'm just pro-SAS Tacoma! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: RockSolid ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Originally posted by RockSolid:
<STRONG>Also... have you sold any of your stock IFS parts? $$$$ but maybe I'm just pro-SAS Tacoma! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: RockSolid ]</STRONG>
Nope, whatcha want? I'm going to take the digi cam out there right now so I can post what I have for sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by yogiaz:
<STRONG>Well... If your not going to wheel it then dont waste your money. Also... you cant be afraid to get a few dents in your truck (although you dont have to destroy your truck to have a good times such as some people think).

I enjoy my Solid axle alot. I have the power of the 3.4, the nice new interrior for those long all day offroad trips (with kick ass AC for when its 115 outside), and the capabilities of a Solid axle (awsome!). I feel that I have the best of both worlds.

The only downside is if you do major body damage then it would be more expensive to fix. So far I have been lucky and have only ended up with smaller sized dents. I can live with those.

Yogi</STRONG>
Ronn,

Hey....did you get my email I sent you a few days back?

I already have dents and scratches in my TRUCK!!!! It's a TRUCK after all....not a Ferrari. I like it to look nice but thats not stopping me from using it.

I would like the SAS Taco for the reasons you stated. I like the Blazer but when its hot outside, thats 350 days per year here, its really hot in that thing! But besides that...I dont want to drive the Blazer very far to wheel it. Once its done its not going to be much fun to drive on the street anyways.

A solid axle under my Taco would be awesome! I could run 35's without worring about breaking all the IFS parts everytime I wheel it!

Plus its the only thing about my Taco that really bothers me. Real 4x4's have a solid axle ya know.

Later,
David

read my email if ya got it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
i think it's worth it.
almost the same price as a ifs lift kit.
looks sweet,
and i bet if you took it into the dealer for service they wouldn't know what to do!

<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Originally posted by BigBadBob:
<STRONG>Nope, whatcha want? I'm going to take the digi cam out there right now so I can post what I have for sale.</STRONG>
oh, I actually sold my Tacoma a month ago <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0"> , but I just wanted to point out that once you sell some of the stock parts you'll get some money back which will make the SAS even cheaper.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top