Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the deal, after i got my truck back from the shop (wierd fuel pump shit) my brake and tail lights didnt work and the red brake light was on in my dash. so my first thing i did was check fluid (thought it would turn the light off) and it was fine. replaced the fuses, and still didnt work. just replaced the stop light switch on my pedal assembly and replaced the bulbs and it still doesnt work. so i start checking the wiring and it appears that i'm getting barely any power to any wireing behind my cab. so all i can think is that there is some kind of bad wiring back there and i planned on cuting the wires after the harness and just running fresh wire to my new circular tailights i planned on mounting in my tailgate.

so i guess what i'm asking is if anybody knows anything else to check or theres any other alternatives to possibly fixing this.
thanks
Ernie

·
Registered
25,026 Posts
Got DMM??? If so, start scoping wires :rolleyes:
If you have a busted wiring loom, the only way to fix it is to, well, fix it.

Doe you have reverse/turn signal problems? What about the license plate light?

Are you going with single round lights in back? If so, might as well just scrap the factory wiring looms back there, you'll have to put a 4 into 3 wiring harness in anyways, might as well mount that in the cab where the wiring is still good.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pazuzu said:
Got DMM??? If so, start scoping wires :rolleyes:
If you have a busted wiring loom, the only way to fix it is to, well, fix it.

Doe you have reverse/turn signal problems? What about the license plate light?

Are you going with single round lights in back? If so, might as well just scrap the factory wiring looms back there, you'll have to put a 4 into 3 wiring harness in anyways, might as well mount that in the cab where the wiring is still good.
all my other lights work fine, only the tail / brake lights.
as for scraping the old looms for the new single round lights, that was what i think i'm gonna do. i just figured i'd post this to see if anyone knew anything else.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Sounds like bad ground at the rear xmember or a corroded hot lead to the rear lights. I vote bad ground...just cause it looks good doesn't mean it's making good contact or that it's not corroded.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your a genius!!! i didnt even think about checking that! if it works i will be happy and feel stupid!!!! but i can live with that :D

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You're welcome, hope it fixes the problem. BTW, if you run more than one aftermarket tailight per side, you'll prolly need a 'powered' trailer wiring converter to get enough juice back to properly light all four rears. That's what I did, but larger than stock wiring might work too.

My four rear red oval trailer lights look good, but are more work and money than two.

I used incandescents due to the cost of the newere led lights ($85 for one at the time I did mine!!)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
more info........probed witha test light at the connecter in the back of the cab.

tails work fine at the cab - probibly means a bad wire/ground along frame

stop had barely any power running to it.....the light would barely light up and when it did it would flash.....also there was no power at the stop light switch

Did replacing the stop light switch turn the Red Brake Warning Light off?

Ernie - check those connections at the back of the cab right in front of the fuel tank

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right, i;'ll try that next tomarrow when its light outside! thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts