Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a search for taillights, I have round dual filament bulb style
tailights recessed in the tub. But due to the not having two bulbs my blinkers won't work. So I'm finally getting around to getting new lights. I remember someone talking a trailer part that helps with the turn signal switch problem. Or is it possible to put LED's in and be done with it. Anyone have a part number for the LED's?
Found this thread but no part numbers. Thanks Tom

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=118600&highlight=tail+lights

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
If you still have the stock TLC electronics, then you will need 2 lights per side since the TAIL and TURN lights are on different circuits. If you want to swtich to a STT (Stop, Tail, Turn) light, you need to get a trailer converter box. This will convert your rear light circuits so you can use the STT lights. By the looks of your rear fenders, you may not have enough room to run 2 lights per side so you may want to consider converting them. If you want to run LEDs, it is cheaper to get a trailer converter compared to buying 2 extra LED lights.

LEDs - $25ea
Converter - $10ea

Two lights and a converter is cheaper than 4 lights.

Edit.....
If you go with LEDs, don't forget to change out your flasher unit with a heavy duty flasher or an electronic unit. Otherwise you will have blinkers that flash way too fast (like a burnt out bulb will do).

Check out Buy Truck Stuff . Com

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Let us know how the wiring turns out with your STT lights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gunmetalcruz-
I set my tail lights up the same way. Mine are LEDs made by Maxxima part# M40100R. I think there's like 45 bulbs in these. I know Grote makes em too but don't have a part number for them. ;) Mike

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric,
Not to ask a dumb question but I am horrible at wiring but what does the trailer converter do? Picked up the flasher today and need to order the lights tomorow. The truck stuff place is WAY cheaper then Napa. Hopefully have it buttoned up by the end of next week. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Toyota uses a seperate output signals for the turn signal and the brake lights. They use two different signal loops to activate the bulbs. Most trailers only have one light per side (STT), not two like our Cruisers (turn lamp, brake lamp). The trailer converter box basically converts your two circuit (or two lamp) into a single circuit so you can use ONE STT lamp instead of seperate turn lamps and stop lamps. I think they actually call these converter boxes "3-2 wire converters" or "tail light converters"

Go the the Reese web page for a pic of what I am talking about.

You need the flasher unit because your LED lights will draw less current and this causes normal flasher modules to blink faster. The electric or heavy duty flashers will work better.

Don't forget to buy the pig tail connectors for your lights.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn Eric you make it easy, I should of posted I'm a dumb ass don't shit about wiring and who can find me the best prices and conect the dots. Some time the square peg doesn't fit in the round hole. Muchas gracias

·
Registered
160 Posts
Led Lights

When I was redoing my Criuser I ran into the same problem. The Toyotas use separate circuits for the stop and turns. One of the hardest things I had to do was take a saw to that new aluminum body. I wired up my new lights and then had problems with the dash and gauges. After searching and not finding the problem, I took a shortcut and went with a Painless wiring harness. It was much easier! The ironic part is that with the Painless harness I didn't need the separate stop and turn lights. The harness came with directions to wire them up thankfully.
Oh well! I like the amber turn signals. The flush mounted Led's are much brighter and cooler looking.
swon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts